Give nicknames to your credit cards in Microsoft Edge!

Microsoft

We're listening, and we heard your feedback!

We've heard from you that you are having trouble identifying and selecting the right card while filling out payment forms online. Starting now, you can give a nickname to your saved credit/debit cards in Edge, making it a breeze to pick the exact card that you want to for every payment you make.

Here are the ways in which you can add a nickname to your card.

1. When you use an existing saved card

laalithya_10-1589208491711.png

laalithya_11-1589208519444.png

Watch out for this notification the next time you fill a payment form through autofill suggestions. Simply enter the nickname of your choice!

1. When you use a new card

laalithya_12-1589208588241.png

You may be familiar with this notification that comes up when you enter your card details on some payment forms.

laalithya_13-1589208598355.png

Now the same dialog also lets you enter a nickname before you save it. Can't think of a name yet? Don’t worry, you can still go ahead and save the card right now as it is completely optional.

1. Anytime on Settings

Go to edge://settings/payments and choose Edit option to add a nickname to your saved card.

laalithya_4-1589207958480.png

If your card isn't already saved, you can click on Add card to enter the details including a nickname.

laalithya_5-1589207958487.png

laalithya_6-1589207958489.png

Once you give a nickname, you will then see it appear in the autofill suggestions the next time.

laalithya_14-1589208656281.png

Tip: Longer nicknames may get truncated but hovering over the word will display the full nickname.

laalithya_9-1589208425225.png

If you find this improvement to be helpful, do let us know. Share your thoughts on this feature and payments experience in the comments below, or by submitting feedback through the browser!

36 Replies
Understand the need, thanks for sharing in detail!
Welcome, glad it was helpful

Hello @laalithya 

@eguif 12/05/2020 01:09 PM:

"Thanks for answering. Would you know if the nicknames will be available in the future for those cards linked to the microsoft account?"

"@eguif we understand there is a need for this and will process this input."

Is there an update on this?

This may work for others or may have worked back in May of 2020, but it is not working for me - at least, it is not working when I have my cards synchronized across devices. When I go to edge://settings/payments, I can see all my cards in Edge, but when I click the ellipsis across from one of the cards, I do not see "Edit/Delete" but "Edit in Microsoft account." When I go to my Microsoft account to edit the card and add a nickname, there is no option to add a nickname.
Please advise. Thank you.
Diffie
This feature gets disabled once the credit card is linked the MSA so its not very useful. Also, cards used for subscriptions (eg. Azure, Onedrive) must be linked to the MSA so this feature doesn't work in those scenarios either.
Thank you, Tony. I appreciate you taking the time to explain why the feature does not work for me. This feature simply is not of much use to me in its current form. Very best to you.

@laalithya It's impossible to update the nickname in https://account.microsoft.com/billing/payments/?refd=login.live.com. Please add this feature! So basic. I notice there are many design oversights in Microsoft's software. You may want to hire someone really hire up in charge of this, front-end issues.

I have no trouble editing the nick name within the "edge://settings/payments" clicking the 3 ... dots and choosing edit. I've just tried it and all is good.

Dennis5mile

@Dennis5mile Is "saved across devices" also set to yes for your card? Saving across devices feature and the nickname feature seem to break eachother. 

Yes, but if you save to your Microsoft account it removes it's listing within Edge. Not sure why, but it does for me.

Dennis5mile

When editing the card in Payment info, it goes to the Microsoft account and there is no way to add a nickname there. The only way I can see to add a nickname is to do it when first adding the card.

There is no way to "Edit nickname". Please consider adding this feature.

@Diffie Yes me too. I think they have changed things. I see no way to update a credit card to change a nickname or to even give a nickname.

I did not see an option to provide a nickname when I added the cards. If it exists then it is very easy to miss.
Also note that the instructions above say we can provide a nickname when we use the card; in other words, after the card has been entered.
When I click the ellipses (three dots) next to a card the only option is to manage with my Microsoft account and I see nothing in there to change the nickname.

Same here. Microsoft account has no menu at all for adding a nickname. If this worked in the past, it most certainly no longer does. Or is it the case that you can ONLY enter a nickname at the time of making a transaction. If so, that's weird.