Dev channel update to 87.0.637.0 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!  Today we’re releasing build 87.0.637.0 to the Dev channel.  It’s a small week this week due to the holiday last week, but we do have some fun things to share about the launch of the Surface Duo.  Here, we have an overview of how Edge works better with multitasking:  https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2020/09/10/the-new-microsoft-edge-on-surface-duo-showcas....  And for developers, we’ve got an overview of how those dual screen APIs work and how they can get them working in their own websites:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2020/09/14/introducing-dual-screen-foldable-web-apis/.  Developers also get a bonus:  an overview of our new source order viewer in the F12 tools:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2020/09/15/source-order-viewer-edge-devtools/.  As for everything in the browser: 

Added features: 

• Added the ability to swipe downward on touchscreens to activate Shy UI. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed a crash due to sync. 
  • Fixed an issue where changing the browser’s theme and then using Shy UI crashes the browser. 

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed an issue where the Cookies and Site Permissions Settings page is blank. 
  • Fixed an issue where the Collections pane is sometimes blank. 
  • Fixed an issue where right-clicking on items in the right-click menu doesn’t select them. 
  • Fixed an issue where some websites like Kaltura show an error that the browser is blocking 3rd party cookies. 
  • Fixed an issue where attempting to enter Immersive Reader results in an error on certain pages. 
  • Fixed an issue where using the Save As option when downloading a file causes the file location prompt to show the same folder every time it first opens instead of the most recently used folder.
  • Fixed an issue where translating content on a page with multiple languages sometimes gives an error that the language it’s being translated to is the same as the current language, even though there is some text on the page that can be successfully translated. 
  • Fixed an issue where uninstalling a website installed as an app from outside of Edge (for example, from the Control Panel) sometimes doesn’t cause the app to be removed from Edge’s list of Apps. 
  • Fixed an issue where Caret Browsing stays enabled after the browser is closed. 

Known issues: 

• Users of certain ad blocking extensions may experience playback errors on Youtube.  As a workaround, temporarily disabling the extension should allow playback to proceed.  See https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/known-issue-adblock-causing-errors-on-youtube/m-p/14... for more details. 
  • Some users are still running into an issue where all tabs and extensions immediately crash with a STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH error.  The most common cause of this error is outdated security or antivirus software from vendors like Symantec, and in those cases, updating that software will fix it. 
  • Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load.  This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed. 
  • Some users are seeing favorites get duplicated after we made some previous fixes in that area. The most common way this is triggered is by installing the Stable channel of Edge and then signing into it with an account that has already signed into Edge before.  Fixing this should be easier now that the deduplicator tool is available.  However, we’ve also seen duplication happen when running the deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so while we wait for some of the fixes we’ve made to come to Stable, make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator. 
  • After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black.  Opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift + esc) and killing the GPU process usually fixes it.  Note that this only appears to affect users with certain hardware and is most easily triggered by resizing an Edge window.  For users with discrete GPUs, updating graphics drivers may help. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 

As always, you’re the ones who make all this possible!  To better know how we can serve you, we’d love for you to take our quarterly survey here:  https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/surveys/quarterly-survey-september-2020/m-p/1658897

25 Replies
The swipe down to show Shy UI gesture only works if Tablet Mode is off on Windows 10, otherwise nothing happens.

@Migue333 I'll ask the dev if this is intentional.  

@Migue333 Oh also, how are you swiping?  Does a two finger swipe work any differently than a one finger swipe?  

Yeah with two finger swiping it works with Tablet Mode on. Single finger swiping works when Tablet Mode is off.

What's the point of Edge auto-refreshing tabs in a while? It's so frustrating and I lose all my workflow.

There is a nice option of 'switch to this tab' when a history suggestion under URL bar is already opened in a tab. Don't know if it is new or I noticed it just today.

I would like to see the following features getting added to the Shy UI:

• Have an option to automatically enable it if no keyboard is attached
  • The page should not scroll up when swiping downward
  • Like on the Android Edge, it should be shown when scrolling up

@josh_bodner Thank you for voicing the Right-Click/Selection bug to the powers that be! I just checked it out on Dev and Canary, and we are good to go! Super cool.

Cheers,

@josh_bodner It's behaving quite oddly.   First you have to scroll right to the top of the page (!), and then swipe down from the top, 1, 2 or 3 times, and then the shy UI appears.

@Migue333 that's what I suspected.  We're aware of that issue and working on it!

@sid9-3 this might not be intentional, so we should figure out if it is or not.  First, do you have anything listed in edge://crashes?  If a tab crashes, it will have to reload.  Next, are you closing Edge at all when you see this happen?  When Edge re-opens with previous pages, it sometimes doesn't load all of the pages until you click on them, which may also appear as if they're reloading.  One other possibility is that your machine is very low on memory, in which case Chromium-based browsers automatically unload tabs in order to free up space.  

The only way for this to be intentional that I can think of is if you're the lucky recipient of a feature we're testing to unload not-recently used pages in order to reduce memory and battery usage.  However, I don't believe we've actually started rolling this out yet, so the only way that would happen is if you've manually enabled it by turning on the flag.  You'd know if you were using this feature if you see tab titles fading a while after you've left them untouched.  

@paradyne you shouldn't have to scroll to the top of the page in order to get it to trigger.  Are you by any chance using Tablet Mode?  

Is there an update coming soon to address the Safari 14 issue? Edge can't open any pages after Safari update, including the feedback page.
reboot fixes page loading. but if you click anything from another app that links to a website, it'll look like it opened edge (in the top bar) but doesn't actually do anything to load the site. (ie. click a link in slack or teams or whatever. won't open the site.)

@gaggleweed We're actively working on it, and will be posting any updates here:  https://twitter.com/MSEdgeDev/status/1306667237600759808.  

Hey just wondering if anyone has experienced same as me. I have quite a lot of sites with white or bright backgrounds constantly flashing/flickering while scrolling or with some CSS animations playing. Could be related to the last GPU update maybe? I have NVIDIA GTX 1070 SLI, driver ver. 452.06, and another PC with GTX 770 driver ver. 446.14 both experiencing same problem on same version of Edge Dev 87.0.637.0. Disabling Hardware-Acceleration doesn't make a difference.

@josh_bodner I really dislike the current state of the new copy/paste of URL's, or maybe there is just a bug in it affecting Atlassian products in particular (I haven't tested it extensively, but this one is biting me everyday right now). 

Giving the page title and then a link is nice, but the links that are coming at the end are domain only and not the actual URL I was trying to post... so I have to take the extra step to right click and paste as text or try and remember the new shortcut.   

For example (made up):  Project Consolidated status https://jira.mycompany.com/SDLFKSDLFJF

What new edge pastes in Slack:  My Project Consolidated Status - Jira (mycompany.com

The link ends up being just to mycompany.com and not to the origin URL above.

Reboot didn't work for me. It shows this error in the log.

file system sandbox blocked open() of '/System/Library/Frameworks/SafariServices.framework/Versions/A/SafariServices'

@jateruy 

I have the same issue. A lot of flickering when scrolling.