Autofill in Microsoft Edge

Microsoft

Autofill of forms is a feature familiar to most Microsoft Edge customers (or for that matter, users of most modern browsers). In the next version of Microsoft Edge too, you can expect the browser to remember your passwords for all your favorite websites and help you fill in your address and credit card details with one-click whenever you come across these forms online. In this post, we will cover some of these features that you’ve come to depend on and use in your everyday life.

View and Delete passwords within Microsoft Edge itself
Earlier, one needed to go to Windows Settings > Credentials Manager to view and delete saved passwords. Now this functionality is available within Microsoft Edge browser itself. You can View (after authenticating) and Delete your saved passwords in Settings > Profiles > Passwords.

autofill01.png

Autofill suggestions made more usable
These changes have been made to improve the form suggestions experience.

Full preview of address data with field highlighting
Filling an address form can sometimes involve effort even with autofill, especially when you have multiple similar addresses saved. Microsoft Edge lets you preview your autofill data for all suggestions within the same dropdown itself, making it easier to choose the right address to fill. 
autofill02.png
To help you quickly select the autofill suggestion, the value corresponding to the field currently in focus is highlighted in the suggestions.

autofill03.png

Ease of access for credentials
In login forms, Microsoft Edge now offers the ability to choose a credential pair both from the username field as well as the password field.

autofill04.pngautofill05.png

Browser data import for a seamless transition 

A possible roadblock to try out a new browser is the unavailability of data that’s important to you, such as your favorites, passwords and other autofill data. Microsoft Edge smoothly overcomes this hurdle by making your passwords, payment info and addresses available right from the first launch.

Upon browser setup, you may choose to keep your data from another browser. If so, you will find all your form data under Settings > Profile and you can manage your data as needed. If you have credit cards that are linked to your Microsoft account, you will not be able to view them yet in the autofill interface. This will be available soon.

autofill06.png

There is also an option to import all your autofill data on-demand, again through Settings > Profile. Remember that your existing data set will be replaced by the new data you import.

Sync autofill data across your devices
Work on syncing data across different devices is currently underway – expect these changes to reflect in the upcoming builds.

Control over your autofill data
As a Microsoft Edge user, you have full control on the autofill feature as well as your autofill data. It is important to us that you can easily view, delete and manage your personal data at any point of time. You can also enable/disable the whole feature for passwords, payment info and addresses, respectively.

autofill07.png

Looking ahead
This is just the beginning. We know that your time is super valuable. And every second that we spare you from typing out your details each time you shop online, or every bit of mind space we free up from remembering a complex password, counts. Which is why, in the new Microsoft Edge it is important that you get a reliable autofill experience that works intuitively whenever you come across a form on the web.

And to get there, we need your help. You can help us by sharing examples of areas where autofill in Microsoft Edge can do better.

We look forward to your inputs!

76 Replies

@Elliot Kirk 

I'm not a fan of saving sensitive information automatically. But I understand that sometimes simplifies life.

With respect to the first section, it seems fundamental to me that you can not see the memorized passwords. It requires a minimum of security or at least put it a little difficult to see those keys. As long as you do not put a master key (like firefox does) I will never use this option. It always seemed like a big security hole on Google's part. Microsoft should not follow that line. Anyone can be absent from his post for a minute (no more) and someone can see all the keys in a very simple way.

Thank you.

---------------------

En español:

No soy fan de guardar informacion sensible de forma automatica. Pero entiendo que en ocasiones simplifica la vida.

Con respeto al primer apartado, me parece fundamental que NO se puedan ver las password memorizadas. Se pide un minimo de seguridad o al menos ponerselo un poco dificil al que quiera ver esas claves. Mientras no se ponga una clave maestra (como hace firefox) yo no utilzare nunca esta opcion. Siempre me parecio un gran agujero de seguridad por parte de google. Microsoft no deberia seguir esa linea. Cualquiera se puede ausentar de su puesto un minuto (no mas) y alguien poder ver todas las claves de forma muy sencilla.

Muchas gracias.

@Elliot Kirk 

Good we don't have to worry about something that, yes, you're right, is considered the norm & standard equipment.  Of course, this all should be in place.

As things/items are mentioned it likely is easy for Folks to appreciate why a project like this takes several months to complete.  Not only time to put everything in we want & have come to like, but, then, more time to make sure it all works properly & well, testing time. Sure, cannot release something until after confirming it all works correctly. And while we talk about what can be seen, the mechanics & the cosmetics... there's heaps of work under the covers, as well, needing time to be done.

>> It cannot be done all at once or as fast as one might like or expect.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

Thank you  @ppnacho and Drew.  You are both absolutely right on. We are human, and we will make mistakes, which is why we will always flight first to make sure that more people can check our work before it goes out to everyone.  We thank you very much for the feedback you provide, it is critical to the success of this browser.

@Elliot Kirk you ought to mention a chromium flag 

edge://flags/#fill-on-account-select

More info https://textslashplain.com/2017/12/28/taking-off-your-nametag/

And we can all look forward to the day we don't have to go to flags and extensions to make everything work as liked and wanted ;)

Cheers,
Drew

@Elliot Kirk all the features are perfect and are absolutely required for a good experience.
I'd like to suggest if we can add an option to suggest us new passwords upon signing up for new websites, it'd be a handy experience...:)

@ppnacho wrote:

With respect to the first section, it seems fundamental to me that you can not see the memorized passwords. It requires a minimum of security or at least put it a little difficult to see those keys. As long as you do not put a master key (like firefox does) I will never use this option. It always seemed like a big security hole on Google's part. Microsoft should not follow that line. Anyone can be absent from his post for a minute (no more) and someone can see all the keys in a very simple way.

Doesn't it ask for the Windows account password though @ppnacho ? For me it does - and it makes sense to me since the browser is only as protected as the account it's on. If you're "away from your post", then since they don't have your Windows password you're fine. 

@AmineI 

I'm chuckling, in a nice way, from your last paragraph... coincidentally, had just recently had an exchange with someone trying to say something about local account vs MS Account.  And, here we go with, yet, another one of the plethora of reasons for using YOUR User Account (Email & P/W).  The timing made me smile :smiling_face_with_smiling_eyes:  Who says there is no such thing as coincidence ;)

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@AmineI 

Apologies for my English!

Leaving the security of the passwords of your favorite sites in the hands of your computer's windows account is an option ... but it does not seem the most appropriate, or at least it does not seem enough. I think that there where you keep passwords should have a layer of security and this is the suggestion I make in this section. Firefox and thunderbird do it with a master key. I do not think he's asking for anything absurd.

In any case, it is a suggestion that I make and that I think is positive for everyone. It is not my intention to create any discussion.

Thank you!

------------------------------------------------------------

(En español)

Disculpas por mi ingles!!

Dejar la seguridad de las contraseñas de tus sitios favoritos en manos de la cuenta de windows de tu equipo es una opcion ... pero no me parece la mas apropiada, o al menos no me parece suficiente. Creo que alli donde tu guardes contraseñas deberia tener una capa mas de seguridad y esto es la sugerencia que hago en este apartado. Firefox y thunderbird lo hacen con una clave maestra. No creo que este solicitando nada absurdo.

En cualquier caso, es una sugerencia que hago y que creo que es positiva para todo el mundo. No es mi intencion crear ninguna discusion.

Gracias

Also, keep in mind, before browser even comes info play... The security in the OS is strong With 2 stage authentication and more. For it to be suggested that products might not be safe and secure... Seems unlikely in 2020 from MS. Would be a given, in this day and age. MS, certainly know threat mitigation is critical. Computing must be done without fear.

Cheers,
Drew

Would love to see Windows Hello come to Edge(ium) like on Classic Edge.

I like to use Autofill for address information but I use LastPass for my sensitive data.

If possible, @Elliot Kirk, could you or someone on the team compose a post explaining the security measures that protect the password data? I did considerable research into LastPass before storing my data there, and I'm loathe to change unless I have similar information. How is the sensitive data stored? Is it encrypted at rest? What sort of salting info or other details can be shared about that encryption? Is it only available after a clean authentication to Windows? Is it available for use after Windows login, or only after secondary authentication in Edge? Is it available for viewing/editing after Windows login, or only after secondary authentication in Edge? What does the Microsoft Cyber Security Team think about the capability? 

@Elliot Kirk Worked fine most places but could not get it to work at walgreens.com on the photos page.  I would select my ID and password but nothing would get filled in. And, I couldn't type in what I wanted - autofill kept essentially gettting in the way.  I had to go back to the regular Microsoft Edge to get logged int.

@ppnacho the Windows account is protected by multiple layers of security, including biometrics if they're on your device; so when I go to view a credential, it uses Windows Hello facial recognition because that's how I sign in. If you use a PIN, it's encrypted and stored in the TPM. no need to make security inconvenient because if it is, users will turn it off. 

@Jdreioe 

I was going to make the same suggestion. Thanks. I love be able to use Windows Hello on certain websites. I know the feature isn't on all PC's but it should be an option (not the default) for Surface and other compatible devices.

@Mary Branscombe 

I feel again that my English is not good!

I fully understand the security offered by the windows login account. I have no doubt about it.

But in my work, I initiate session when I arrive and block the session when it is coffee time. After the coffee I return to start session and at the end of my day, I turn off. I usually get up frequently and I'm not always in front of my pc. The option to block my session every time I get up and unlock it when I feel it is not very practical in my work. So, if I get up from my position to go talk to my boss, I'm leaving my session open and anyone with bad intentions has a free way to see all the passwords of my favorite sites. Honestly, I do not like it.

You know, for tastes there are colors.

I return to comment that it is only a suggestion and that it is not my intention to create any debate about it.

There are tools like lastpast that perform the function perfectly. I believe that the new edge should bring it integrated. But it's just my personal opinion.

And thanks to Microsoft for allowing me to participate in this forum and be able to give my point of view. I know that Edge Chromium is very young and you have to give it time to grow older.

Thank you to all for reading me.

----------------------------------------------------
(En español)

Siento de nuevo que mi ingles no sea bueno!!

Entiendo perfectamente la seguridad que ofrece la cuenta de inicio de sesion de windows. No tengo ninguna duda sobre ello.

Pero en mi trabajo, inicio sesion cuando llego y bloqueo la sesion cuando es la hora del cafe. Despues del cafe vuelvo a iniciar sesion y al finalizar mi jornada, apago. Me suelo levantar con frecuencia y no siempre estoy delante de mi pc. La opcion de bloquear mi sesion cada vez que me levanto y desbloquearla cuando me siento es poco practico en mi trabajo. Por eso, si me levanto de mi puesto para ir a hablar con mi jefe, estoy dejando mi sesion abierta y cualquier persona con malas intenciones tiene via libre para ver todas las contraseñas de mis sitios favoritos. Sinceramente, no me gusta.

Ya se sabe, para gustos hay colores.

Vuelvo a comentar que solo es una sugerencia y que no es mi intencion crear ningun debate sobre ello.

Existen herramientas como lastpast que realizan la funcion perfectamente. Considero que el nuevo edge deberia traerla integrada. Pero solo es mi opinion personal.

Y gracias a Microsoft por permitirme participar en este foro y poder dar mi punto de vista. Se que Edge Chromium es muy joven y hay que ir dandole tiempo para que se haga mayor.

Gracias a todos por leerme.

@ppnacho you're missing a step in the process. Even if you choose to leave your machine unlocked (pressing Win-L locks it for you BTW, which is the same extra step you're asking for here), you still have to enter your Windows password or authenticate to Windows Hello to see the credential.

@Elliot Kirk  For the password management feature, it's good to see this more integrated into the browser. However, one of the biggest usability issues with Credential Manager today is the lack of any kind of search / sort / filter, coupled with the lack of friendly display names for sites. When you accumulate a significant number of credentials it can be very difficult to find passwords for specific sites.

In Edge, please consider adding a simple search or filter function to the user interface to address this issue.

---------------

Edit: well, color me silly. This functionality already exists in Edge Insider (not a Chrome user here, so I have no background familiarity to draw on).  I haven't imported any passwords into Edge Insider as I am a LastPass user, but I just installed the browser on my wife's PC and discovered that what I describe above basically already exists.

So yeah, carry on!

Thanks for listening.