Add Text to your PDF documents

Microsoft

We have received a lot of love from you ever since we started our journey of building a PDF reader that addresses all your annotations and form fill needs. Taking another step towards fulfilling that goal, we are now introducing a feature that lets you add text directly to your PDF documents.

Screenshot1.png

Do you remember the last time you encountered that annoying PDF document that was meant to be a form but had no editable fields? We are now bringing an end to all your form filling woes with the ‘Add text’ feature that lets you add text to the document with customizable font size, color, and spacing options. All you need to do is click on the posinha_1-1631709091234.png button in the toolbar and place the cursor anywhere on the document to add the text box and start typing. You can also click on ‘Add text’ in the right click menu anywhere on the document to add a text box. Try it to out type in text and take notes on top and in the margins of the PDF documents you are reading!

Screenshot2.png

Once you have placed the text box, you can change the font color, size and text spacing through the mini menu attached to the textbox. The default font size is set to 12px which you can increase up to 48px or decrease up to 9px. The default color is set to blue you can change to black, green, or red based on what you need that day.

Screenshot3.png

To make your form filling experience even smoother, we retain the last textbox format set by you for as long as your PDF document is open.

You can now use this tool to fill in forms or add visible notes to your PDF documents. This feature is currently present in our Canary and Dev channels and supports these languages: English, Spanish, Dutch, French, Italian, Afrikaans, Albanian, Basque, Bosnian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, Galician, Hungarian, Icelandic, German, Indonesian, Irish, Lithuanian, Luxembourgish, Malay, Norwegian, Portuguese, Romanian, Scottish Gaelic, Slovak, Slovenian, Swedish, Turkish, Vietnamese and Welsh.

Let us know how you use the annotations tools present in the Microsoft Edge PDF reader today and any other tools you would like to see. Share your feedback with us and tell us how you are using this new tool. Go to “…” menu > Help and feedback > Send feedback, or simply use the shortcut (Shift+Alt+I) to open the feedback tool and share your thoughts with this.

31 Replies

@posinha 

1) GNU/Edge Dev can work with multiple profiles aka config files (folders). It saves DRAM footprint. One of my two instances is set as default. Why the other is "banished" from using "Add text"?

2) Why Polish language was left behind? It has many diacritic characters as most of the languages you mentioned.

3) A Bold would be a nice option, if not badly necessary at last!

Regards,

--
MS Edge Dev 95.0.1000.0-1
Debian Bullseye GNU/Linux 5.10.46-4, X.org 1.20.11, IceWM 2.1.2
Nvidia GeForce GTX 650, Driver 460.91.03, systemd 247 (247.3-6)

@posinha I don't have add text to pdf option although I am on the latest build of edge Dev. 

You should be able to see the feature in the latest Dev build 95.0.1011.1. Do let me know if that is not the case and we'll look into it further. Thanks!

@posinha 

Hello, I also have the latest Dev build 95.0.1011.1 and do not have this option.

Same ere, no edit text option when opening PDFs.

Microsoft Edge 95.0.1011.1 (Official build) dev (64-bit)
Revision 027ecc9d610b913ce5877c5fe2204dd4a30a00c7

@posinha Version 95.0.1011.1 (Official build) dev (64-bit). Yet no option to add text to pdf

@ShahidKhan - It would be great if you could check again for the feature and also let me know which language is set as your browser language. Currently, due to technical constraints, we are only supporting the language in English, Spanish ,Dutch, French, Italian, Afrikaans, Albanian, Basque, Bosnian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, Galician, Hungarian, Icelandic, German, Indonesian, Irish, Lithuanian, Luxembourgish, Malay, Norwegian, Portuguese, Romanian, Scottish Gaelic, Slovak, Slovenian, Swedish, Turkish, Vietnamese and Welsh. 

It would be great if you could check again for the feature and also let me know which language is set as your browser language. Currently, due to technical constraints, we are only supporting the language in English, Spanish ,Dutch, French, Italian, Afrikaans, Albanian, Basque, Bosnian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, Galician, Hungarian, Icelandic, German, Indonesian, Irish, Lithuanian, Luxembourgish, Malay, Norwegian, Portuguese, Romanian, Scottish Gaelic, Slovak, Slovenian, Swedish, Turkish, Vietnamese and Welsh. 
It would be great if you could check again for the feature and also let me know what is set as your browser language. Currently, due to technical constraints, we are only supporting the language in English, Spanish ,Dutch, French, Italian, Afrikaans, Albanian, Basque, Bosnian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, Galician, Hungarian, Icelandic, German, Indonesian, Irish, Lithuanian, Luxembourgish, Malay, Norwegian, Portuguese, Romanian, Scottish Gaelic, Slovak, Slovenian, Swedish, Turkish, Vietnamese and Welsh. 
Would be great to have a different font than an old version of Arial.
I really hope Chinese will be supported soon, this would really help my studies!
Got add to text in newer update Version 95.0.1020.0 (Official build) dev (64-bit)

BOLD and Italic would be really nice things to have. So would at least a few other font options

Hello,
what about old feature request, about inserting electronic signature (insert image), like free Adobe Reader has it.
Es un avance. Ya era hora de poder editar PDF´s en el navegador sin tener que usar una suite compleja. Echo en falta un editor más completo, que cree listas y permita centrar, alinear y justificar el texto. También es positivo poder insertar imágenenes.

@posinha 

Tested, easy and useful. Next and last need for basic pdf use, an "add image" resizeable (png or bmp)  for logo or signature. This should top off any further need on this editor in my opinion.. also in order to keep it simple (!)

Tks 

@posinha 

Hallo

Kiedy będzie dostępny język polski?

Thank you @posinha and Edge team for the new feature. 

I use annotation and this feature will help me a lot.

I started using it and it works fine. Also, i tried to use it with Arabic font :) and it works but i have one problem if you may fix it:

the Arabic text will disappear once I'll click the mouse outside the textbox! If i click again on the textbox itself, then the whole things I typed will appear again. So, the pdf file will keep them, but they will be hidden for some reason until I click on the textbox, and it'll appear again.

any luck to look into this issue?

thanks for the great job!

Thanks for the feedback! We have added this to our backlog