SOLVED

Updating the pricing tier of my Azure Search Service

Iron Contributor

I have been testing out various Teams hosted bots on my Office 365 dev tenant .  From a cost perspective I want to use minimal resources so looking to Free tier whilst I develop and test.   Is it possible to update the pricing tier (SKU) to free (from Basic), on my search service below, say using the Azure CLI beta ( or Azure PowerShell)?  

az search service list --resource-group "MyResourceGroup"

"name": "???????????-search",
    "partitionCount": 1,
    "provisioningState": "succeeded",
    "replicaCount": 1,
    "resourceGroup": "MyResourceGroup",
    "sku": {
      "name": "basic"
    },
    "status": "running",

I can see the "create" command does have the "Sku" parameter but the "update" command does not which is why this doesn't work:

az search service update --resource-group "MyResoucegroup" --name ?????????-search --sku free

I haven't found a way on the portal either. 

2 Replies
best response confirmed by Daniel Westerdale (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@Daniel Westerdale 

Based on this documentation page, I think this is not possible and you have to create a new search service to change the SKU.

Extract:

When you create an Azure Cognitive Search service, a resource is created at a pricing tier (or SKU) that's fixed for the lifetime of the service. Tiers include Free, Basic, Standard, and Storage Optimized. Standard and Storage Optimized are available with several configurations and capacities.

Most customers start with the Free tier so they can evaluate the service. Post-evaluation, it's common to create a second service at one of the higher tiers for development and production deployments.

@nirobert   Thanks for your reply, I met to update this post as I did receive a lengthy response from the team ( I think they got a sense of my irritation:sad:).

As a consultant, I wanted to try out multiple bots / Teams Apps within a dev context .   However, as you say there is only ever one Azure Search Service under the Free SKU, per environment.  I can get around this but it takes a little more effort.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Daniel Westerdale (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@Daniel Westerdale 

Based on this documentation page, I think this is not possible and you have to create a new search service to change the SKU.

Extract:

When you create an Azure Cognitive Search service, a resource is created at a pricing tier (or SKU) that's fixed for the lifetime of the service. Tiers include Free, Basic, Standard, and Storage Optimized. Standard and Storage Optimized are available with several configurations and capacities.

Most customers start with the Free tier so they can evaluate the service. Post-evaluation, it's common to create a second service at one of the higher tiers for development and production deployments.

View solution in original post