SOLVED

using config.office.com for managing office updates

Copper Contributor

Hi has anyone got experience of using config.office.com for managing office updates. It looks good, but we use GPOs and Intune to manage other Office polices, so don't want config.office.com polices to interfere with the intune / GPO polices?

3 Replies

@andytheit2 If you've already enrolled your devices using Intune, please have a look at Microsoft Auto patch. Initially, the update and office management was done through config.office.com where you set the preferences, get the xml and deploy on to endpoints. With Autopatch, you get the below products auto updated What is Windows Autopatch? - Windows Deployment | Microsoft Docs

AmbarishRH_0-1662003538288.png

best response confirmed by andytheit2 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Ambarish RH 

That wasn't the question i asked!! We don't want to use autopatch. MS aren't the best at testing their patches or reporting on if they have been installed!! Anyway i have found the answer. For anyone wanting to use config.office.com for just managing the Office patches, it only overrides the settings for updates. not any other GPO / Intune policy. So far, in testing it is working well. Slow in reporting back but otherwise very good. Just would like more control over which updates are applied without have to pause rollouts.

Microsoft Verified Best Answer

Hi @andytheit2 - happy to help answer your questions. Regarding policy, any device enrolled in the Monthly Enterprise servicing profile will receive a series of cloud policies to coordinate Office update channel, build and schedule. These cloud policies will take precedence over any other Office update policies (e.g., GPO or Intune). If the device is ever offboarded from servicing profiles, the cloud policies will be disabled, and the device will look back at the previous policies for instructions.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by andytheit2 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Ambarish RH 

That wasn't the question i asked!! We don't want to use autopatch. MS aren't the best at testing their patches or reporting on if they have been installed!! Anyway i have found the answer. For anyone wanting to use config.office.com for just managing the Office patches, it only overrides the settings for updates. not any other GPO / Intune policy. So far, in testing it is working well. Slow in reporting back but otherwise very good. Just would like more control over which updates are applied without have to pause rollouts.

View solution in original post