02-06-2020 02:31 PM
02-06-2020 02:31 PM
hi all, I've noticed some odd behaviour when assigning (normally) Power BI License's to users. It seems to change the usage location value in AAD/Office 365. Mailbox and OneDrive seem to stay in original region but not the Usage Location.
* AADConnect synced AD Users
* Users existing in Office 365 longer than 12 months
* Users Always set to AU Usage location
* Assign PowerBI Pro Licence (usually using admin.microsoft.com Newer Assign Licences Method from Licencing Screen
* Cannot guarantee I haven't used the legacy method of just going into a user in admin.microsoft.com and assigning it directly
* Some time later, Usage Location US (Or in 2 users cases GB)
It's taken me awhile to figure out it was a PowerBI Change but the 2 GB users never got PowerBI and they changed at some point as well, so I don't think its Power BI Licences exclusively but it seems to be after adding/changing some licences via some method results in a Usage Location Change.
AAD Audit log for the two most recent users is doesn't say anything about location change in the log.
I'm leaning towards it being the newer admin.microsoft.com assign Licence to Users, vs the more legacy Assign User to Licences but haven't isolated it down to that level.
Anyone else experienced this?
02-06-2020 02:44 PM
@Tim Lourey We are experiencing something similar! We have just moved to Teams for calling and we noticed that some of our users had reverted to the US from the UK. It makes a difference in teams when making a call if you are in the wrong location. Thanks for posting this, tomorrow if I have time I will change a couple of licences and see if I get the same result as you. We are also AADConnect synced AD Users its been baffling us for a few weeks now. Will post back with results.
02-06-2020 02:49 PM - edited 02-06-2020 02:53 PM
@Tanya Denton really grateful I'm not going insane. I didn't think about Teams voice as we are not using it.
Its hunch but I think its to do with the Newer looking flyouts(?) like
* admin.microsoft.com --> Users --> Active Users
* admin.microsoft.com --> Billing --> Licences --> Assign Licence Screen
vs the older looking ones like
* admin.microsoft.com --> Search for a user from very first page --> User --> Edit Licences
* admin.microsoft.com (Classic mode)
but again that's just a hunch. Looking forward to your results!
02-06-2020 02:58 PM - edited 02-06-2020 02:58 PM
@Tanya Denton Yes that screen is the 'Newer' flyout(?) / screen. I think it came along with newer version of admin.microsoft.com.
However, if you use the search on the very first page at the top in admin.microsoft.com and browse a user, it shows you the older (Classic?) looking user management flyout(?) / screen which I THINK doesn't have the issue.
02-06-2020 03:31 PM
@Tanya Denton I haven't timed it as I was just running the query every few weeks and fixed some up a few weeks ago. Only reason I figured it out was two users were now showing US instead of AU and those specific users got the PowerBI License which made me look down that path.