the product we found in your account can't be used to activate skype for business

Copper Contributor

I have a problem with Skype for business, users can download the software but at the time of access to skype they detect the following error: "the product we found in your account can not be used to activate skype for business".

The problem is present both for a user to whom I gave the complete "business essential" license about 1 month ago, and for two users to whom I gave the "business essential" license without Exchange a short time ago, and also to a user to whom I gave the complete "business premium".

Also I have another problem, when I active a licence to a new user, sometimes the e-mail is activated immediately, sometimes it takes more time (about 1 hour).

5 Replies
When did you acquire Office 365 and wht's the size of the organization? Also review in the Teams & Skype Admin Center what product is configured to be used by users
Hi Fabio,

Agree with Juan. After October 2018, Microsoft disabled Skype for Business for organisations under 500 users and the organisation ought to use Microsoft Teams

https://tomtalks.blog/2018/09/from-oct-1st-new-500-seats-or-less-office-365-customers-will-be-micros...

Organisations that are provisioned after that time will be set to Teams Only in the Teams and Skype admin centre. As Juan says, it will show there. There are articles around that you can use Skype by putting it back into Islands mode, however I would not recommend this. Skype for Business will be phased out in the future, and if you have the opportunity to only use Teams to start with, this is highly recommended.

If you need a particular function in Skype for Business you don't think is in Teams, please let Juan and I know so we can suggest how to go forward.

Regarding the other issue of activation, yes some mailboxes can take some time to show up - on occasion I have had them take a few hours, and this is down to Microsoft's back end provisioning systems. It is a fairly widespread occurrence, so I would recommend setting up mailbox maybe a day or two in advance of the user onboarding into the business.

Best, Chris

Hi Juan, we have bought Office 365 before October 1st. But the size of the organization is lower than 500 users. We have a problem only for the last users that we assign to them the licence. 

Hi Christopher,  we have bought Office 365 before October 1st. But the size of the organization is lower than 500 users. We have a problem only for the last users that we assign to them the licence. 

The particular function that we need is to allow our sellers to communicate with clients through skype for business between 2 businesses, for meetings and so on.