Read only access to OneDrive files

Brass Contributor

Hi,

I've 10 users with whom I want to share HR policy documents i.e. forms & manuals etc (pls note I can't use SharePoint because of basic computer knoweldge of end users). I've installed OneDrive for Business on all end points. All users ar located in 10 different locations.

Now, If  upload all docs to my OneDrive and share with them via email, it only shows in their 'Shared with me' link and doesn't sync in their local drive.

If I upload the files directly into their OneDrive, there is a chance they might delete/modify files which we don't want.

I want to share all the files with read only access, and also whenever there is a modification/addition to a file, I want to auto sync directly on thier end points instead of sharing it again via email.

6 Replies

@Stephen Rice any update on this topic?

Hi there, can you pls help on this.

If you share with the other users one (or more) folder(s), instead of single files, then they can sync locally the folder(s).

@Waseem Qureshi, another option you can look at is to create a SharePoint team site with this content and then give all 10 users read only permission to that site. This will allow them to view and sync the content without giving them the ability to edit. Hope that helps!

Stephen Rice

OneDrive Program Manager II

Can we sync the files/folders shared Sharepoint to local OneDrive? My end user's computer knowledge is very basic. They used Dropbox so I choosed OneDrive sync for such content sharing.

Hi @Waseem Qureshi,

You can sync a SharePoint team site the same way that you sync a OneDrive. You just go to the document library you want to sync (or the folder), and click "sync" on the toolbar. Hope that helps!

Stephen Rice