Leavers and retention of there data

Brass Contributor

I am not sure where to post this so if it is in the wrong place please let me know.

So the question is...

A User leaves our organisation and the process then is the AD account is disabled and moved to a Retired Users OU. 

Our company policy is that the data should be held for 365 days then deleted; if i am correct it seems that when the blocked flag is syc'd to Azure a counter start and after 90 days the One Drive / Exchange Mail box is deleted even if the user has a EOL license assigned; is that a correct statment? 

If so can that 90 days be extended? 

The interesting thing is what happens with long term sick or Maternity leave where the break from work can resiult in the account disabled due to lack of activity or expired password and would be greater than the 90 days! 

Hope someone can help or advise.... 

Thanks

1 Reply
If you move a user outside of the scope of dirsync, it will get removed after 30 days. OneDrive retention is governed by the corresponding settings in the SPO admin center, it's 30 days by default but can be customized. For Exchange Online, there is no customization option, however you can take advantage of Inactive mailboxes: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/security/office-365-security/exchange-online-protecti...