How to properly configure access to shared data on OneDrive/Sharepoint in a small company?

Copper Contributor

I work in a small company - me and my business partner plus 4 employees.

We use OneDrive to store our company data. Basically, we can simplify the situation to the way that we have 2 folders - "for_founders" (containing data about company's certificates, financials etc. - data only for the two of us) and "for_all" (here are all data needed for day-to-day operations, it's for the two of us + our employees).

We use MS Teams as our chatting tool.

What we are trying to achieve is to create a "centralized" place for our two main folders (so it's not on my or my partner's OneDrive) - "for_founders" and "for_all" and we (founders and employees) would be able to access data here.

What I tried to do was that I created these two folders on my OneDrive and then shared access to "for_founders" to my partner and to "for_all" to my partner and all employees - but this does not seem to be the correct set up here.

After some googling, it looks like OneDrive is made only for our individual's cloud space, while Sharepoint seems to be the correct way to set up access to those folders.

How do I properly set it up? Also, I'd like to achieve the point that when I chat on MS Teams with "employee_1", I want to be able in the chat window to click on the icon "Attach file" and from the folder "for_all" pick up a file and share it with this "employee_1". I know this should be able to achieve in a channel, but I am trying to get this functionality also in the chat window 1-on-1.

Is there a way to achieve this? If the description is a bit complicated, please let me know and I'll try to be more clear.

Thank you

3 Replies

@userr112 

There are more than one way to achieve is. Here are some ideas that you might want to try:

Create one private Team that only you and Your business partner are members/owners of. Then move the files (that are relevant only for the two of you) from Your OneDrives to this Team. Now the files are stored in this teams connected SharePoint site and both of you (and only the two of you) have access to them.

OR

If You have a common team today where you and your business partner and your employees can collaborate, you can create a Private Channel (in the current team) and configure it so that just you and your business partner has access to the posts and documents in this private channel.

You should keep the content as open/available as possible. If You want to "Chat on files" with your business partner and/or your employees you should store those files in the team and channel where they already have access and use Channel Posts.

If You want to have a "Private chat" with one user on a file, You can copy the link to the file and paste it in to the Chat.

Hope that helped a bit :)

Hi @MagnusGoksoyrOLDProfile ,

thank you for your great answer.

I realized the easier way would be to teams and channels in MS Teams and "store" the data in Sharepoint.

However, the reality within the company is that we use MS Teams, but we do not really use teams and channels. Rather, we use 1-on-1 and 1-to-many chats (chat groups with 2, 3 or 4 people). Is there any way to link the storage (data files) to these "chat rooms"?

My recommendation is that you start using channel posts instead of private chats/private chat groups. When you use chat, the files will be stored on the onedrive of the user who initiated the chat and then you are back to the same point as you started on. :)