SOLVED

Can I create a policy to block emails based on subject line?

Copper Contributor

I have spam coming with a specific subject line;  is there somewhere in the Admin Portal where I can block emails coming into my organization based on the subject line exact phrase? 

7 Replies
best response confirmed by filmtech (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@filmtech 

Yes, it's under Exchange Admin Center > Mail Flow, below link can help step by step:

Office 365 Mail Flow Rule: Block Messages Based on Subject | LazyExchangeAdmin

Thanks -- but one step is confusing. It indicates, "type the keyword #SYSGEN#" --- why block on SYSGEN? Shouldn't I be blocking on the phrase in the subject line that contains the spams we've been getting?

@filmtech 

It just an example to block Email by 'keywords' under subject, the sample showing that Email will be block once #SYSGEN# contains in Email subject, you can decide whatever you want to fit your purpose.

Hope this help

Got it -- are the hashtags around the phrase necessary?

@filmtech 

You are welcome, hashtags around are NOT necessary, I thought the sample confused you.

I was a bit confused yes. Instead of #SYSGEN# perhaps indicate something like [add the text of the subject line here]. In any case my hat's off to you. I followed your instructions and successfully implemented a mail flow rule!

@filmtech 

You are welcome, not sure you are interested to 'Regular Expression', refer below URL:

regex - Regular Expression for some email rules - Stack Overflow

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by filmtech (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@filmtech 

Yes, it's under Exchange Admin Center > Mail Flow, below link can help step by step:

Office 365 Mail Flow Rule: Block Messages Based on Subject | LazyExchangeAdmin

View solution in original post