Unable to Create or open MS Access database

Copper Contributor

When I create a new Access database or open an existing Access database I received this error message: 

"Cannot open a database created with a previous version of your application."

MS IT support reinstalled Office 365 and the issue persists, I also tried upgrading Windows and all updates. Thanks

6 Replies

@OCTORT39 

Something doesn't add up in this description, so let's tease out the different parts.

You have MS 365 installed on your computer. It is properly licensed and activated. Correct?

You have one or more existing accdb files (Access database files) on your computer. Correct?

When you try to open one of those existing accdb files using MS Access 365, this reported error message appears and you can't continue. Correct?

You can start Access, but when you try to create a new accdb, the SAME error message appears?

Hi @George Hepworth ,

You have MS 365 installed on your computer. It is properly licensed and activated. Correct? --YES--

You have one or more existing accdb files (Access database files) on your computer. Correct? --YES--

When you try to open one of those existing accdb files using MS Access 365, this reported error message appears and you can't continue. Correct? --YES--

You can start Access, but when you try to create a new accdb, the SAME error message appears? --YES--

thanks for your help George, we can talk over the phone if you want, we've met at PAUG conference in the past.

Sorry I didn't recognize the username. Who are you when you are at PAUG :) ? I miss PAUG.
I'm puzzled how you can get that same error from trying to create a NEW accdb.

Right now I'm heading into a meeting, but if you want to talk I can do that in an hour or so.
Sounds good, I will call you or email you, I have your contact info, thanks for your help George!

Hi @George Hepworth ,

The issue has been resolved after removing ALL .MDW files found on the testing machine. Probably I just needed to delete the SYSTEM.MDW, thanks!

Octavio

@OCTORT39 Good to hear that Octavio. Continued success with the project.