system resources exceeded error

Copper Contributor

i have been using access for many, many years and am using a current office 365 version (2009) with windows fully up to date on an lenovo thinkpad with 32gb ram etc. while i had sporadically gotten the system resource exceeded error since moving to office 365, it is now happening with increased frequency. for example I have a table called, say, "any_table", it has 984,604 records with 60 (or so fields). if i run a query to return all the records with no joins, it works fine. If i add a criteria for either a text field or a numeric field it fails. meanwhile i can run very complex multi-table/view (saved queries) queries just fine. the common denominator may be the absence of values in the where clause. not sure. this started happening just two days ago. not sure if there were auto updates do my system/access but i did subsequently bring everything up to date to try to fix things, unsuccessfully.

30 Replies

I have just experienced this same error again: "Error #-2147024882: [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] System resource exceeded"

on a Win10 PC running Siemens WinCC - about 5 months after the first incident. A reboot of the Win10 solved the issue.

But is there some way to get a status from Microsoft on this issue?

Somewhere in this thread it appears that it is a recognized issue - but not indication of any actions.

Is it likely that Microsoft will issue a fix - of shall I keep using code to reboot in case of this error?

I don't see it listed on their official issues page

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/fixes-or-workarounds-for-recent-issues-in-access-54962069...

That said, I know they are at the very least very well aware about the general resource exceeded issue. As to what is being done, when we might see an actual fix is anyone's guess. Considering this has been an issue for months, years,. It's not looking very good.

I'd urge everyone having this issue to use the feedback button with Access to flag the issue, as well as post on access.uservoice.com .  Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the grease!

@Daniel_Pineault 

Thanks.

My computer is 3 years old. 1.80GHZ Intel Core.

My theory is that after the error went when I closed teams, outlook etc, as the error did not appear, that this is a memory issue. Once the world replaces their computers, Microsoft won't have a problem to fix.

Interesting to see the list. I recognize the "[FIXED] Access error: "Query is corrupt" - as we experienced that as well after a Windows update. And solved it with a Microsoft Fix. Since that affected pretty much all Access applications, it got the attention fast...

Where exactly do I find "feedback button with Access"?

I would clearly like to be the squeaky wheel and draw attention to this issue - and have a fix made by Microsoft.

I can see, that we have this with Windows10. We have used Windows10 since end of 2017 but it appears not be for the first installations. I have not kept track of the exact version of Win10, but it appears have come with the later versions. 

@Jake104E82 

thanks.

the problem first arose after MS had installed a W10 upgrade in about October.
As explained before, my Access processes were able to run after I had closed all MS applications. but without closing everything, system resources exceeded and they stop.

@gnarlesv  I had a lot of Calculated fields in my Tables and experienced all kinds of failures, including the "resources exceeded" error, but also failed backups, and failed Compacts.  Once I took the Calculated fields out of my Tables and put them into my Queries, all is now fine.  No errors, Compacts complete (quickly) and no strange, out of the blue, application Quits.

Try removing ALL calculated fields from your tables, and good luck, I hope it works for you, too!

I run 4 computers, 3 at work, 1 at home. I run 2 windows 10 and 2 windows 11. The only issue I have is on my surface pro which is running windows 11. Up until I upgraded to windows 11(beta) on the surface it didn't have the issued. Though I run it the database on my Windows 11 at home and have no issues. I only get the systems exceeded message when I try to view a sharepoint list through access. It seems to be a security issue more than anything else with sharepoint
When you use beta releases anything can and will happen.

One should never use beta versions in production situations. It's fine for preliminary testing, but nothing beyond that.

@gnarlesvI'm on a SQL server 2014 back end with ODBC connections to an Office 365 front end.  My application is always up to date.  This error occurs when you have too many connections open to the data source at one time.  It usually happens to me when I have multiple datasets open either on forms on in tables and I leave the database open overnight. 

A big culprit of this error are having too many open recordsets.  One thing to check if you're coding in VBA is to make sure that you're closing out your recordsets by setting them to nothing.  Another thing to check is the number of DLookups you're using.  DLookups leave an open connection and can seriously tie up resources. 

I've used a DLookup substitute called Elookup by Allen Browne for years.  It really helps with this issue.  Here's the link: http://allenbrowne.com/ser-42.html

HTH,

Patrick

I haven't experience specifically this issue; however, I received many error messages related to custom VBA functions created in Access 2002/2003/2007/2010. All error were gone after changing the MS Access 2016/2019 installation from 64 Bit to 32Bit, which its backward compatibility support of MS Access works much better with these custom VBA functions.
Note: I Know the main reason and the 'PtrSafe' fix for those errors caused by older VBA functions, we choose to remove them as well. I did not have option to fix these 'PtrSafe' errors, and continue, may be the next error could be the "... system resources exceed error" .

If you have subscription with these two versions, the default installation is 64 bit. You might want to try installing 32bit of Office instead. Aside from that, if your database have linked tables to some external sources such as QuickBooks and Sage 300, you have to have the 32 bit anyway. I have to say that both QuickBooks and Sage 300 support 32 bit of Office 365 (2016) and Microsoft 365 (2019) while your Windows 10 is 64bit, they do not support 64 bit of Office.

Following steps might not exact, but very close for installing 32 bit of 365;
- Check your installation in Add/ Remove Programs
- Continue if its 64 bit, or stop if its already 32 bit.
- Login to your Microsoft Account,
- Select Office Product, Office Products page opens,
- Open down arrow near Install button, select 32 Bit,
- Download - the default download folder is your C:\yourprofile\Downloads,
- Uninstall 64 bit of office,
- Install 32 bit using the file you downloaded

@ppaton open record sets may be the explanation. My code is lengthy mostly sql but it does have record set in it.

Even now as I have worked around the problem of resources exceeded by creating smaller temporary tables to work with, I do get code stopping occassionallly at an open record set command. It goes into debug mode, and I just hit F5 a couple of times to continue and let it finish without problems.

I must not have a record set close command.

I’ll take a look.

Thanks