SOLVED

Switch function in Access is not evaluating more than 2 conditions

Copper Contributor

Hello All,

Assume a table has columns Description, SO and Region.

Column5: Switch([description]=[SO],"L2L",[region]="Bangalore" Or "ROK","K2L",[region]="East" Or "West" Or "North" Or "South","L2L")

This is working fine for populating L2L (where I m saying if the values in Description and SO are same then return L2L) and K2L (where I am saying if region which is my 3 table has values - Bangalore or ROK, then update it to K2L).

The 3rd condition where I am saying if Region has values East or west or south or north then update them to O2L. This is not working. I even tried writing if the values are not Bangalore or ROK then update to L2L. I tried a combo of iif and switch. No luck.

The result is in a column where the possible values are L2L, K2L and O2L.

Please help.

Regards

Ganesh

+918451046072

9 Replies
Column5: Switch([description]=[SO],"L2L",[region]="Bangalore" Or [region]="ROK","K2L",[region]="East" Or ,[region]="West" Or ,[region]="North" Or,[region]= "South","L2L", True, Null)
best response confirmed by Ganesh99 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi,

The syntax for the OR operator is wrong. You would have to repeat the full comparison for every value, i.e. [region]="Bangalore" Or [region]="ROK" etc. With more than 1 value it's easier to use the IN operator. If I  understand your intention correctly, then this should work:

Switch([description]=[SO],"L2L",[region] IN ("Bangalore", "ROK"),"K2L",[region] IN ("East", "West","North","South"),"L2L")

Servus
Karl

Access Bug Trackers

Access News
Access DevCon

Hi Arnel,

Copy/paste errors: 3 times the comma in "Or ,[region]" shouldn't be there.

Servus
Karl

Access Bug Trackers

Access News
Access DevCon

@Karl
You copied the one of OP's errors. I think it should be:
Switch([description]=[SO],"L2L",[region] IN ("Bangalore", "ROK"),"K2L",[region] IN ("East", "West","North","South"),"O2L")

@Ganesh
I am not sure what you want. If the first condition ([description]=[SO]) is true "L2L" is returned, no matter what region. Is that what you want.

Hi,

Copy/paste and typos are responsible for the majority of errors in all programs. Far behind come syntax and logic.

:)
Karl

Access Bug Trackers

Access News
Access DevCon

Hi Arnel,

Thanks for this.
I tried your version. It is returning "L2L" even for those cases where Description is not same as SO.

Regards
Ganesh

Hi Karl!
Daaaaaw!! Thanks. It worked like a charm. It was a very simple thing for you but it was such a **bleep** for me these few days. Thanks a ton. I shall pledge to tell this all who want it and pass on the credits to you.

Regards
Ganesh
+918451046072

Hi @arnel_gp, yes. Noticed this and corrected.
The query had to first satisfy the condition of returning L2L for all the cases where SO and Descriptions were same.

Thanks for helping.

Regards
Ganesh
Hi @XPS35

I spotted it and used it according to my use case. It worked perfectly. Thanks a ton for being around. It is wonderful that people take these simple challenges too to help others.

Regards
Ganesh
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Ganesh99 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi,

The syntax for the OR operator is wrong. You would have to repeat the full comparison for every value, i.e. [region]="Bangalore" Or [region]="ROK" etc. With more than 1 value it's easier to use the IN operator. If I  understand your intention correctly, then this should work:

Switch([description]=[SO],"L2L",[region] IN ("Bangalore", "ROK"),"K2L",[region] IN ("East", "West","North","South"),"L2L")

Servus
Karl

Access Bug Trackers

Access News
Access DevCon

View solution in original post