SOLVED

Split form as subform

Copper Contributor

I see that in Access 2010 it was not possible to use a split form as a subform, but I can't find any discussion of this either way in later versions. Is that still the case? If it is still a limitation, is there a standard (and relatively easy) workaround?

3 Replies
best response confirmed by KevvieMetal (Copper Contributor)
Solution

I recently wrote a web article about various Split Form Issues

One of the points covered was that they cannot be used as subforms. If you attempt to do so, only the single form section is displayed.

A simple workaround is to create your own simulated split form which will overcome this limitation.

See my companion article Simulated Split form (isladogs.co.uk)

@MendipDataSystems 

Thank you! That is very helpful and it will achieve what I'm trying to achieve.

Full disclosure: I'm a total noob when it comes to Access. I have a solid understanding of data relationships and cut my teeth on Paradox for DOS, with some later dabbling in Alpha Five. But I have done almost no programming in at least fifteen years. So while I can basically understand what's going on in your example, I'm a bit lost as instructions such as "add code similar to this to the main (parent) form" don't tell me exactly *where* to add the code. I guess I need to get very familiar with Visual Basic ASAP. Any suggestions in that realm?

Answering on a different machine - this time using my @isladogs account. Sorry for any confusion

The code supplied in my article stated you should add code to the Form_AfterUpdate and Form_Current events of both the main (or parent) form and the sub (or Child) form.

The actual code given was a guide - you would need to adapt it for your field/control names on your own forms

Suggest you download the example app supplied with that article and study it carefully.

There are many resources available for learning VBA aimed at different levels of ability. You might be better asking in a separate post which other beginners may be able to state what worked useful to them. Or watch some of the many online videos on Access topics

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by KevvieMetal (Copper Contributor)
Solution

I recently wrote a web article about various Split Form Issues

One of the points covered was that they cannot be used as subforms. If you attempt to do so, only the single form section is displayed.

A simple workaround is to create your own simulated split form which will overcome this limitation.

See my companion article Simulated Split form (isladogs.co.uk)

View solution in original post