SOLVED

Runtime Error With No ID

Brass Contributor

We use the ChempaxVB business system that uses Microsoft Access as the database. As of Monday this week, four users see a "Runtime Error" with no ID code and cannot open their "Reports Window". This is the ChempaxVB interface with the reports.mdb that contains all queries, forms and reports. So, they can use the software but cannot print. When they run ChempaxVB a temporary copy of chempax.mdb is created in their server Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp folder.

We are in a terminal server/RDP environment running Windows Server 2016.

I fixed this issue for one user by removing them from AD, deleting their profile and recreating them as if a new user. But the same process failed for two others.

This morning I've also tried creating a new test employee from scratch and get the same error. I've also reviewed the user's Access Options for macro and ActiveX security giving them the most trusted settings, including adding the ChempaxVB folder and even their server User folder to Trusted Locations.

We have seen some reports of a similar known issue in which VBA code cannot output to html or txt files; and that Microsoft is releasing an update, supposedly yesterday, August 2.

But I would expect, if it is known issue, that Datacor, the ChempaxVB supplier, would have other customers reporting the same issue. I am aware that Microsoft is making security changes related to macro security and wonder if this is related.

This may not be related but I forced the error, noted the time and then checked the Event Logs:

'The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{8D8F4F83-3594-4F07-8369-FC3C3CAE4919}
and APPID
{F72671A9-012C-4725-9D2F-2A4D32D65169}
to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container
Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool."

3 Replies
What has the vendor of this application told you so far?
Their only input was that runtime errors without ID are very difficult to troubleshoot. In the end it was a Microsoft issue as we had suspected.
best response confirmed by ScottLamond (Brass Contributor)
Solution
Call off the dogs. The update fix is KB5002248. The one that broke things is KB5002112. It arrived yesterday and installing it stopped the runtime error. Uninstalling KB5002112 had fixed our VBA code exporting of html and txt files, but had not fixed the runtime error.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ScottLamond (Brass Contributor)
Solution
Call off the dogs. The update fix is KB5002248. The one that broke things is KB5002112. It arrived yesterday and installing it stopped the runtime error. Uninstalling KB5002112 had fixed our VBA code exporting of html and txt files, but had not fixed the runtime error.

View solution in original post