Receiving "File in use" error for a single-user Access 2019 application

Copper Contributor

Hi, I'm receiving a "File in use" error when running a macro containing an update query. The message says that the database (mdb) which contains the table that is being updated is busy. The update macro/query is in a "front end" database, and the table is in a "back end" database and linked. I've been running that same macro for years without this happening, so I'm guessing that it may be due to Access not closing down properly at some stage recently and leaving the status of this table as "still in use". 

Has anyone else experience this problem and worked out a solution? I'd be grateful to hear about it.

4 Replies

Hi,

Many thousand Access users have had this message in the last 3 weeks as it is the most common problem since the security updates of Dec 14. Since then it has also been the most discussed in all Access forums of the world including this one. So, you can read several discussions here for details.

First, have a look at the support article and control if there is a fix for your version of Access.

Servus
Karl
Access News
Access DevCon

Hi Karl,
It is a great relief to learn that this is a widespread problem with a known cause and that solutions are being provided by Microsoft in product upgrades. Many thanks for your prompt reply. I have read the support article which you recommended, and selected "Update now" for Office upgrade and received the "You're up to date!". The "File in use" error message is still appearing, so I guess Microsoft have not yet applied the fix to my version of Access (Microsoft Access 2019 MSO (Version 2111 Build 16.0.14701.20240) 32-bit). I'm wondering whether it might be better in the meantime for me to revert to a previous version of Office while waiting for a fix? I've never done this before. Do you have any advice please on the pros and cons of that option?
Thanks again

Hi Mark,

The build you mention is not in the lists of the article. So, it's hard to say if it should have been fixed. In many cases even after installing the currently available fixes there are still problems with network paths. Microsoft is working on further fixes but it's not yet clear when they will be available and if they will fix every version of these problems.

Concerning a temporary downgrade:

Only you (or an admin) knows the circumstances of your usage, needs, security or compliance requirements. In theory you run the risk of a security hole, although Microsoft considers the exploitation unlikely. However, that's always a judgment call with security stories. You can find details about it, if you search with the KB numbers in the support article.

In the end you have to decide if you can wait and see if and when Microsoft fixes the problems or if it is more important for you that your Access application is working properly in the meantime. In case you want to downgrade I've already posted some how-to links in the discussions here, and Daniel Pineault also has them in his blog article.

Servus
Karl
Access News
Access DevCon

Thanks again Karl for taking the time to get back to me so quickly. I take all your advice on the pros and cons of downgrading. It's an urgent matter for me, so I'll happily sacrifice what ever benefits the current version has in return for getting my Access jobs running again. I lwill ook up your how-to links. You've shone a bright light on the way forward for me. Can't thank you enough :)