SOLVED

ODBC tables connection problem since 16.0.15831.20216

Copper Contributor

The new update 16.0.15831.20216 has a bug when connecting ODBC tables.

When I execute this code:

Set tdf = CurrentDb.CreateTableDef(strCurrentTable, dbAttachSavePWD, strRemoteTableName, strConString)
CurrentTableName = tdf.Name
CurrentDb.TableDefs.Append tdf'This is where I got the error

I got this message:  'dbo.tbl_SalesForcastPromotionsCategories' is not a valid name. Make sure that it does not include invalid characters or punctuation and that it is not too long.

This code work perfectly fine for the last 6 years. Until the version 16.0.15831.20216

I rollback my office version to 16.0.15831.20208 and everything works.

Thanks

14 Replies
best response confirmed by GontranHarvey (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi Gontran,

The problem and potential workarounds are documented in our bug tracking blog.

Servus
Karl
Access Bug Trackers
Access News
Access DevCon

Hi all,
We have the same issue in all of our customer installations running any version above 15831.20208
We are reverting all our customers to version 15831.20208 in order to be able work.

We hope this major issue will be fixed soon in a new version.

While you're reverting: also switch away from Current Channel. Way to aggressive in most business situations.

Hi,

> We hope this major issue will be fixed soon in a new version.

A fix is planned for next week. I have updated the already mentioned doc article.

Servus
Karl

Access Bug Trackers

Access News
Access DevCon

Me I'm lucky because I'm using the same codeDB for all my connections for all my clients, so I only had to change one line of code Replace("MyRemoteTableName","dbo.","") and that's it. Should be a good Insight for people who like to copy code.
Again Karl, thank for your work on that.
Thank you for the link. Good to know that it will be fixed soon.
In our case, this is not feasible, because our MSAccess Application customers are using whatever Office version they have already purchased.
The channel has nothing to do with the version.
While clients make the final decision, you can advise them, and tell them if they don't want to be on the bleeding edge, they should revert to Semi-Annual Enterprise channel. Let others deal with the bugs!

@GontranHarvey 

Just run into the same problem and couldn't understand why this code was working fine and now wasn't. Wish I'd checked here first, but then the line of code at fault is the last one you would suspect.

I fixed my issue by adding this to the reconnection routine.

'Reconnect the sql view
Set myTD = Nothing
Set myTD = myDB.CreateTableDef(sLocalTable, 0, sRemoteTable, g_sODBC_CONNECTIONSTRING)

'Safety net fix
If myTD.Name <> sLocalTable Then myTD.Name = sLocalTable

myDB.TableDefs.Append myTD

This works and is only called if needed. Just wish I hadn't wasted hours of time I don't have on this, thanks MS.

That is a good suggestion. We will promote the idea to revert to the Semi-Annual Enterprise channel to our customers. Thanks

Hi,

The new version 2301 (Build 16026.20146) released in the Current Channel today, should provide a fix for this bug. Please report if it worked for you.

It can take a few days to roll out new versions. Those affected by the bug can actively request it with Update Now.

I will also report on the effects or side effects in my documentation article.

Servus
Karl
Access Bug Trackers
Access News
Access DevCon

Good to know this is fixed.

As Tom_van_Stiphout suggested, we are moving our clients to the semi-annual channel, so I have not tested if the new version works for us. If we have any further issues, I will let you know.

Thank you for letting us know Karl.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by GontranHarvey (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi Gontran,

The problem and potential workarounds are documented in our bug tracking blog.

Servus
Karl
Access Bug Trackers
Access News
Access DevCon

View solution in original post