MS Access - visualising hierarchical tree (preparing classifications for a nav tree)

Copper Contributor

Hi All,

I'm trying to use access to manage a classification hierarchy or tree. I have 9 classes at the top level (level A), 30 classes at the next level down (level B), etc. Every item in level B can belong to several items in level A, which means that every item in level A can contain several items in level B.

I know how to create a multiple-choice lookup field and assign the items in level B to their "parent" items in evel A. What I now want to do is to visualise my tree in a way that shows, for each item in level A, which "child" items it contains.

Anyone know a way to do this?

Thanks in advance!

4 Replies
you can google Treeview.
don't do "multiple-choice lookup" (MV list) if you have not worked with it before.
try adding a Junction table instead.
Check out the following link. It is not using an activeX field.
https://jkp-ads.com/articles/treeview.asp

Hi,

Jan Karel's tool is certainly great. Just to complete the treeview selection for Access:

If you don't even want to use the Office form controls, there is the native Access picoware Treeview (click on "english" in the top right menu). It's commercial, but it has exceptional features like SQL use, grouping, checkboxes, custom icons, background colors, direct editing, Access explorer etc. And no, I don't get a commission from the author Thomas Pfoch (although I actually should ;-).

Servus
Karl
Access News
Access DevCon