MS access on web browser

Copper Contributor
Hello, how can i publish a file access on web so it can be used from a device as an iPad using a browser?
5 Replies
The short answer is you can't. Access is not in any way web capable. If that is a requirement then Access should never have been used.

If the web, and other devices than Windows PCs ate your target then you should use proper web technologies PHP/.net/MySQL/...

The other option could be to use an online hosting service provider such as accesshosting (I have no affiliation, and there are others so look around and compare) or remote desktop, TeamViewer to access the database running on another PC (so set it up on a desktop and the remotely access it on your iPad).

@PaoloDeLeonardis 

In addition to Daniel's suggestions, you could consider a hybrid approach. Keep your existing Access Front End, or interface, on your desktops internally, but move the tables for your relational database application to a hosted SQL Server, or to SQL Azure. Then you will need to create the browser-based interface to those same tables for those who need to use it from mobile devices or remotely via a browser. 

It all depends on the specific requirements for your organization. There are multiple options, each of which has its own advantages and disadvantages. Unfortunately, browser based Access web apps is no longer one of those options.

Thank you so much. Can you suggest me some program that can replace MS Access and satisfy my requests?

If your needs are relatively simple, perhaps you could turn towards Microsoft powerapps.

Otherwise I'd recommend a proper web language such as PHP, .net

@PaoloDeLeonardis 

Keep in mind that a relational database application is composed of three main tiers, or layers.

1. The data layer. This is the set of tables in which all data is stored. Access tables, of course fill this role, but many other database engines exist: SQL Server, SQL Azure, MySQL, Postgres, to name a few. 
  2. The interface layer. This is the set of forms and reports through which your users interact with the data. 
  3. The logic layer. This is the code (and in Access, macros) which provide the logic needed to manage both the data and the interface.

Access is quite unique in that it includes all of those objects and tools. Most other development environments include only the 2nd and 3rd, leaving you to choose a database engine appropriate to your needs.

However, Access does not limit you to its own proprietary database engine (which is called ACE by the way). Access can connect, or link, to a huge range of other data sources, including those listed above as well as SharePoint lists, text files and Excel files. This means that any data storage you choose can be the data layer for a proper web app, and that Access can ALSO link to it to provide an in-house desktop interface. 

The next thing to consider is that whatever interface tools you select will come with their own learning curve, greater or lesser depending on what you choose. Things like .net or php which are needed for a browser based interface may be more or less challenging to you, in other words. Again, depending in part on your skills and aptitudes, you might be up and running fairly quickly, or not. One thing you should NOT consider, though, would be to use Access tables as the data layer for other interfaces.

And finally, I would like to offer the observation that Access is a tool used to create one specific class of relational database applications. I would probably approach the task as looking for other tools to SUPPLEMENT, not to replace Access in your tool kit.