MS Access crashing/hanging issues

Copper Contributor

Good day all, we have been experiencing issues with MS Access 2019 on our machines. We have issues with all the workstations at various times and not every day. Last night, we had two machines at different times come back with issues. To fix the issue, a restart and then good to go.

For the Access Database, it is located on a Windows 2019 Server running SQL. The front end is located on a local folder on each machine. The program is launched from the local drive.

The Error:

Log Name:      Application

Source:        Application Hang

Date:          2022-07-07 11:07:09 PM

Event ID:      1002

Task Category: (101)

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

The program MSACCESS.EXE version 16.0.10387.20023 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.

All machines are the same make, model, windows version, office version

Lenovo ThinkCentre M710s / 3Ghz i5-7400 / 8GB ram / Intel HD Graphics 630 display driver

Windows 10 Pro - Version: 21H1 build: 19043.1766

Office 2019 32bit Version: MSO 16.0.10382.20010

The problem is very random and hard to pinpoint. I’m hoping that I can get some guidance on this issue, maybe different things to look at.

4 Replies
what was the last thing done on those computers before the error showed? any updates or installations?

Nothing out of the ordinary. I run the Lenovo updates once every couple of months, usually just the BIOS updates, Windows updates but other than that, nothing. I've tried to make sure that most of the machines are within 2 - 3 months, up to date. MS Office updates as well as the windows updates are set to auto update

try rolling back the update and see how it goes.
recently there are Lots of issue with ms updates affecting msa.
Hi,

Here are some troubleshooting steps to get rid of the access crashing issues:

1: Decompile/Recompile the Database

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/access/steps-to-decompile-your-ms-access-database/m-p/3064615

2: Check System’s Memory Usage

If the Access database crashes on a few specific PCs only then it can be the issue of low memory space. So, just check out the memory space of your system before working on it.

3. Stop Anti-Virus Program

4. Import Database Objects Into A New Empty Database

5. Remove MS Access Standalone Version

Microsoft access keeps crashing when two different versions of the same software is been installed on the system. This indicates that your system is facing a resource utilization issue. Usually, this problem occurs when you have installed any packed version of the software and after then you have installed a standalone version over it.

And if these troubleshooting steps don’t work you can try the compact and repair method to repair MS Access.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/compact-and-repair-a-database-6ee60f16-aed0-40ac-bf22-85f...

Best Regards,
Suyash