Microsoft Access Version 2305 Build 16501.20210 breaks certain object access, returns null values

Copper Contributor

After the update to Microsoft Access a bit over a week ago (today is 6/23/23).  I can see from (https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdates/update-history-microsoft365-apps-by-date) that Microsoft posted an update around this time.  Since then when opening a database we've used for several years, it throws errors in VBA citing a null value for that object's variable.  I pulled a copy of the database from several weeks ago and opened it - same behavior.  This recent update to Microsoft's program seems to be enforcing some new settings (security related? ).  Is there a way to relax this so that null value checking, etc.. that is now stopping functionality is no longer strictly enforced?  There have been no changes to this access database in a long time.  I'm hoping there's a registry key that can be set to relax this new behavior.  Anybody in the know, please advise.  Thanks.

5 Replies

Hi,

 

So far I have not seen any other reports of such a problem with this build.

Can you show a code example where the error occurs and provide the error number and the exact message?

Optimally, you could create a small sample database with the reproducible error and upload it somewhere. Then we could check it and if "successful" provide it to the Access team at Microsoft.

 

Servus
Karl
****************

Access Bug Trackers

Access News
Access DevCon

In addition to providing a replicable example, it might be wise to consider other possible problems that are coincidental, not causal.

For example, whenever I see new behavior related to data, and more specifically to errors involving Null, I start by examining the data. New data in particular.

Rule out any possibility that there really is a null where you didn't anticipate a null in recently added data.

@Karl Donaubauer thank you for the response. Most of the data base works like it should but it is unusable with the errors we are getting. The first example listed below is an invalid use of null.

 

1st Error message Highlighted line after selecting (Debug).png1st Error message.png

The second example is an (action was cancelled) error. These errors occur in different parts of the program after hitting different buttons.

2nd error Highlighted line after selecting (Debug).png2nd error message.png

The third example says method or data member not found.

3rd error Highlighted line after selecting (Debug).png3rd error message.png

 

I hope this helps detail the problem.

Hi,

 

It is difficult to figure out what is happening from a distance and from your examples, because they seem to have little to do with each other. In example 2, we don't see why opening the report is cancelled. That could e.g. be due to code in the open event.

 

What strikes me about examples 1 and 3 is the way the field/control names are specified. I have sometimes seen and read that after some unknown change to Access installations or applications, referencing them as a property with the dot no longer worked. In these cases the error message in example 3 then was the usual one.

 

You could try if it changes sth when you use this in example 1:

 

Me!cbo_Cement_Name.Column(0)

Me!txt_Cust_Name = Me!cbo_DeliveryID.Column(2)

etc.

 

i.e. always specify "Me" and replace the dots by bangs.

 

You can try the same in example 3 and eventual code in the Open procedure of the report.

 

Servus
Karl
****************

Access Bug Trackers

Access News
Access DevCon

Hi,

 

Have a look at Shane Groff's reply yesterday in the comments to the latest bug fix article. This could be the reason why unhandled errors come up in the latest versions of Access.

 

Servus
Karl
****************

Access Bug Trackers

Access News
Access DevCon