Microsoft access database engine 2016 download 64 bit rendering Access unopenable

Copper Contributor

Hello everyone,

I have a problem where I downloaded Microsoft access database engine 2016 64 bit which rendered Microsoft Access unopenable. I have the slow Insider build. Does anyone have a solution? The download is necessary for an operation in another program. 

6 Replies

I assume that you also have a different version of Access installed on this computer, and that you only downloaded the Microsoft Access Database Engine 2016 Redistributable 

What is that other version of Access? When you say you can't open it, do you mean that the Access application ITSELF fails to open? What does happen when you try?

@George Hepworth That's correct, I downloaded Microsoft Access Database Engine 2016 Redistributable The Access version is Microsoft Access for Office 365 MSO 32-bit. The application itself fails to open. When the database engine is installed the following error message appears:

clipboard_image_0.png

@18023305 You have issues with Registry....BAD...you have to find the Registry keys that are lacking permissions...not an easy task ...but doable with Process Monitor

@AdnanObeid I must say is far from being easy ....i recap ...

IF you installed an Access runtime and you get registry errors then you have problematic registry that means that reg keys have wrong permissions.

First things first 

Take a complete image of your system...i don't mean simple Windows backup...i mean bare metal image using a tool like Aomei Backupper, Macrium Reflect, Acronis...the list goes on

You can try uninstalling everything related to Access...just google it

Repeat installation

If everything fails probably you have to reinstall everything...