Linking Data From Excel to Access to Sharepoint List

Copper Contributor

Hi -

I retrieve data in Excel. I am trying to create a link from this data to a Sharepoint List so that the data can be shared in a separate template that includes that data as a Power Query. If I export from Excel to Sharepoint, I do not maintain a "live" refresh of the data (when the data is updated in Excel it is not reflected in Sharepoint list). I am now trying to link the data from Excel to Access and from there link it to Sharepoint. I am able to link the Excel to Access and see changes reflected; I am able to link Access to Sharepoint and see changes reflected. But I am unable to see changes reflected in Sharepoint that are made in the original Excel file. Any thoughts/suggestions/work-arounds? *Note, I am currently using Office 2013 but will be moving to 365 in the next month!

2 Replies

@mkmeach89 

I'm not sure if I understand your situation right, but linking from Access to Excel and SharePoint doesn't automatically link the Excel-sheet to the SharePoint list. You need a query in Access to update the SharePoint list from Excel. The type of query depends on whether you want to update or reload the SharePoint list from Excel.

@mkmeach89 

Follow the steps in this article: https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/Export-a-list-to-Excel-in-SharePoint-Online-40f4b5cd-cb8a-4...

If your list on the sharePoint gets updated, you will need to Refresh connection in excel in order to get the updated data from the SharePoint List.