Issue with Access & Dataverse Long Text Field in aggregate function

Copper Contributor

Hi all - I've manged to migrate my MS Access application to Dataverse for Teams. Some things required work arounds, and found solutions for almost all, bar this final one issue.

I needed to add a new text field to Dataverse to store some text comments. In Dataverse I made this a multiple lines text column. MS Access recognised it is a "Long Text" column.

The problem is, that I need those comments to appear alongside other columns through an exisiting Aggregate query. Rather than showing this new column content, I only see the GUID identifier, and issue which I'd never seen before. After some trial& error, the problem seems to stem from the new field being added to Group By in the SQL aggregate query.

From what I gather after searching, MS Access cannot run a Group By on a Long Text field...

(1) is that behaviour correct/expected?

(2) I then tried as dataverse columns, "Text Area" and "Text (with 4,000 characters)" , each of which is recognised as Long Text in Access and therefore throws up the same issue. Assuming it is indeed the Long Text in a Group By query, any other workarounds that may help here?

thanks!

0 Replies