I need help to connect MS Access to ODBC.

Copper Contributor

I need help to connect MS Access to ODBC. I need hands on help, have tried everything on the net.

7 Replies

@Johan_Spens 

We need more information in order to help.

Specifically, ODBC is a protocol used to connect Access to a database. So we would need to know what that database would be: SQL Server, MySQL, another accdb? or something else?

Although you indicate you've already tried everything, it would be helpful to have some examples of what you have actually tried, and what the problems were.

Thanks.

@George Hepworth 

Connection failed - Check settings and try again.

Extended error information:

Unable to initialize ODBC connection to DSN for DB2,

I am trying to get ODBC to connect MS Access to QGIS. I am using 64bit on all programs, but since connection doesn't work, I have tried changing all programs to 32-bit. But it's still not connecting.

I am getting this error:

Connection failed - Check settings and try again.

Extended error information:

Unable to initialize ODBC connection to DSN for DB2,

My DB2 is just an empty database with a table containing 3 rows of records (x, xx and xxx) to check how to get a connection with ODBC.
/Johan

I have an old computer with MS Access connecting perfectly with ODBC. Using the same files does not work with Office 365.

@Johan_Spens 

If it works on one computer, but not the other, and the error message includes this notice, "Unable to initialize ODBC connection to DSN for DB2", then I would recreate the DSN for that new computer.

I am facing the same problem while connecting .mdb to QGIS, and I tried all the answers available on the internet. The same error appears to me. Any leads would be grateful.

@IsrarAhmed 

You've already tried all of the available answers? Without knowing which answers that would be, it's hard to think of some additional things to suggest. I might suggest, for example, looking for an ODBC connector for QGIS, but I don't if that is one of the things you've already tried. I also don't know if they even provide one.

Or I might suggest this link, but again, it may be one of those answers you already tried.

Good luck.