SOLVED

How do I uninstall Access 2019 in order to try MS 365 Access Runtime?

Copper Contributor

I have Access as part of my MS Office Pro 2019 package.  I want to test MS 365 Access Runtime using a Access program that I wrote.  I have not installed the MS 365 Access Runtime software yet, because I read that having MS 365 Access Runtime and Access 2019 installed at the same time can create issues.  How do I uninstall Access 2019 and then reinstall it when I finish testing MS 365 Access Runtime?

13 Replies
Suggest you install the 365 Runtime on a virtual machine so you can have both versions available
Interesting idea. I will have to research how to add a VM to my hard drive.
best response confirmed by malcolm_p_galvin_jr (Copper Contributor)
Solution
If you have Windows 10 Pro, you have Hyper-V which you can use for the purpose.
However, I prefer Virtual Box which you can download for free from Oracle and is actively being developed / updated on a regular basis. Very simple to setup and use.

@malcolm_p_galvin_jr 

you can also Emulate the runtime (without installing Anything) using /runtime Switch:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE16\MSACCESS.EXE" "dbPathAndName" /runtime.

Although I prefer to use VM's, the drawback to that approach is that you must install the Windows OS on them, and that means a license. If you have the budget for that, it's a great solution. The alternative, running your accdb with the /runtime switch doesn't require the additional Windows license.
I agree completely about using ACCDR files or the runtime switch instead of running two versions.

However, I deliberately didn't mention either of those as the OP stated he wanted to use MS 365 Access Runtime for testing as well as having Access 2019
Hi isladogs, arnel_gp, george hepworth,
Great info from all. I did open the db in runtime using the shortcuts. After doing so, I had questions which I posted on 6/24/22 as "Relationship flow chart not appearing." If you could look at that posting and reply I would much appreciate it. Additionally, I wanted to compare what I was experiencing with my db (the migration to SQL Express and also opening in Runtime) with doing the same procedures with Northwind db. So I opened my Access 2019 and opened a new Northwind db, and save the file. When I tried to open it in Runtime it would not allow me to do so. I WAS AMAZED THAT MS's OWN NORTHWIND COULD NOT OPEN IN RUNTIME. Could you also check that out? I'm asking for your help because of the great input you gave on this posting!

@malcolm_p_galvin_jr 

Did the NW application simply fail to start in runtime? Or, was an error raised?

I can't find the other thread: Relationship flow chart not appearing.
Please can you provide a link

@George Hepworth 

I ran the Northwind template as an accdr.

Yes, there is a macro action in the AutoExec macro that fails to run in the runtime. However, removing that one macro action is all it took to eliminate that problem

The macro action in question, SetDisplayedCategories, manipulates the Navigation Pane, which is not permitted in the run time environment, so it's not unexpected that it would fail.

GeorgeHepworth_0-1656543252639.png

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/sql-server/relationship-flow-chart-not-appearing/m-p/3549372
Here is the posting:
Relationship flow chart not appearing
When I used Access as the back end for my database, I would click onto Database Tools then Relationships and would get a flow chart of all the my tables and all the relationships: ie one-to-many, etc.. The Database Documenter would also list the relationships.
Now that I use SQL Express Server as the back end for my database, when I open Access and click onto Database Tools then Relationships my tables appear without the relationship flow chart. The Database Documenter does not list any relationships.
Am I doing something wrong.
I thought that the relationships were transferred with the tables to the SQL Server.

@malcolm_p_galvin_jr 

Ah, what you refer to as the "Relationship flow chart" is better known as the "Relationship Window" in Access and as the "Relationship Diagram" in SQL Server, so that part is cleared up.

True, relationships should be transferred when migrating tables from Access to SQL Server, and, if you open SSMS and select "Relationship Diagram" you can see and modify relationships. Note that there can be multiple versions for a database, should it happen to have a large number of tables.

GeorgeHepworth_0-1656615597308.png

In the Access Relationship Window, you can DISPLAY relationship information, but it can ONLY be modified in the SQL Server, so the Access Relationship Window should be considered a convenience, not a tool. Note, for example, that join lines do not designate Primary and Foreign Keys here; any lines drawn between fields are strictly visual aids. Moreover, by default, tables won't be displayed, so you do have to add them to the relationship window. 

GeorgeHepworth_1-1656615844006.png

@George Hepworth 

Great info again!  Access certainly is an amazing UI.  I am incorporating SQL in order to give multiple users of my db access via cell phones.  I would not do it if the Access data was reachable similar to the SQL data.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by malcolm_p_galvin_jr (Copper Contributor)
Solution
If you have Windows 10 Pro, you have Hyper-V which you can use for the purpose.
However, I prefer Virtual Box which you can download for free from Oracle and is actively being developed / updated on a regular basis. Very simple to setup and use.

View solution in original post