SOLVED

Help with Access VBA code to automate email!!!!!

Copper Contributor

I am trying to automate sending emails upon opening a Main Menu form based off of records in another query.  Then having a check box turn on once the email has been sent so it won't be sent again.

Below I will copy my code but Im getting different errors when I run it and cant seem to get it work. I am very new to coding so if you could point out where I am going wrong and how to fix it with code that would be awesome  as I am now pulling my hair out. The current error I am getting is a compile error: Do without Loop. 

Here is my code: 

Private Sub Form_Open(Cancel As Integer)

'DEFINING RECORDSET TO USE

Dim db As Database
        Dim rec As Recordset

Set db = CurrentDb
        Set rec = db.OpenRecordset("SELECT * From AllActiveLicenceExpiryDueIn30DaysQ")

If rec.RecordCount > 0 Then
               rec.MoveFirst
               Do Until rec.EOF
               If IsNull(rec!AssignedToEmail) Then
               If rec30DaysEmailSent = True Then
               rec.MoveNext

'SEND EMAIL REMINDER FOR LICENCE EXPIRY IN 30 DAYS

Dim O As Outlook.Application
                      Dim M As Outlook.MailItem

Set O = New Outlook.Application
                     Set M = O.CreateItem(olMailItem)

With M
                                 .BodyFormat = olFormatHTML
                                 .HTMLBody = "Please be aware that " & FirstName & LastName & " Licence is                                                                   Due for renewal in the next 30 days. Licence Expiry is -" &                                                                         LicenceExpiry & ",<P>" & _
                                                        "Please update New Licence Expiry date and upload copy of New                                                               Drivers Licence" & ",<P>" & _
                                                        "Kind Regards" & ",<P>" & _
                                                         "Kym Wilson"
                             .To = AssignedToEmployeeEmail
                             .CC = PersonalEmail
                             .Subject = "Licence Expiry Due in 30 Days " & Now()
                             .Display

End With

Set M = Nothing
                     Set O = Nothing

rec.Edit
            rec30DaysEmailSent = True
            rec.Update
            rec.MoveNext
            End If
      End If

End Sub

5 Replies

@Cheri676

It is hard to tell without knowing the error messages.

I see at least two main points.

If you refer to fields in a recordset you do it like this:

.To = rec!AssignedToEmployeeEmail. Only in one line you do it right. 

A Do Until should always be accompanied by a Loop (in this case before the End Sub). 

A thing that does not cause an error but is wrong any way, is where you decide to send an email or not. If AssignedToEmail is NOT Null, you don't look at the DaysEmailSent any more. So you will always send an email.

Edit: there is more wrong with the if's. As there is no Else, the code will continue after the Movenext. So for the next record (even If there is no next) you are going to send an email (without looking to). 

@XPS35 

Thanks for that you make some really good points and have clarified some things for me but I now have more questions. 

The error that I was getting was a compile error : about needing a Loop which  you also state . However now that I have made the changes you have suggested excluding the bit about Else  because of the If's (Im still trying to work this out) Do you any links that explains how these work or give me an example of this as I am very confused on what I have read.

Im now got a bigger problem because when I go to open the MainMenu nothing will load just keeps going access not responding. I have tried this on a couple of backup test database and it happens on all on them. Is this because I haven't sorted the Else bit of the code?

My new code is 

'DEFINING RECORDSET TO USE

Dim db As Database

Dim rec As Recordset

Set db = CurrentDb

Set rec = db.OpenRecordset("SELECT * From AllActiveLicenceExpiryDueIn30DaysQ")

If rec.RecordCount > 0 Then

rec.MoveFirst

Do Until rec.EOF

If rec!EmailSent30days = True Then

rec.MoveNext

Dim O As Outlook.Application

Dim M As Outlook.MailItem

Set O = New Outlook.Application

Set M = O.CreateItem(olMailItem)

With M

.BodyFormat = olFormatHTML

.HTMLBody = "Please be aware that " & FirstName & LastName & " Licence is Due for renewal in the next 30 days. Licence Expiry is -" & LicenceExpiry & ",<P>" & _

"Please update New Licence Expiry date and upload copy of New Drivers Licence" & ",<P>" & _

"Kind Regards" & ",<P>" & _

"Kym Wilson"

.To = rec!AssignedToEmployeeEmail

.CC = rec!PersonalEmail

.Subject = "Licence Expiry Due in 30 Days " & Now()

.Display

End With

rec.Edit

rec!EmailSent30days = True

rec.Update

rec.MoveNext

End If

Loop

End If

End Sub

Also just in regards to the Do until and Loop code is that all I need to do I cant seem to find good examples to help explain it for me?

best response confirmed by Cheri676 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Cheri676 

I have made a new setup for your code. It only shows the main structure. You have to insert the code for actually sending an email.

Dim rec As Recordset

Set rec = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("SELECT * FROM AllActiveLicenceExpiryDueIn30DaysQ")

Do Until rec.EOF
        If Not IsNull(rec!AssignedToEmail) And _
           Not rec!EmailSent30days Then

rec.Edit
            rec.Update
        End If

rec.MoveNext
    Loop
End Sub

@XPS35 

Thank you so much this has worked !!!! 

Although I am going to one more question of you. Now that this works am I able to do this for multiple recordset. 

e.g. we currently only have this working for "AllActiveLicenceExpiryDueIn30DaysQ" what if we need to do it for "AllActiveLicenceExpiryOverdueQ" as well. Or for reminders when vehicle inspections are due ( this requires a different email to be sent (I'm all over the programming of the send email part so dont need help with this) I just dont quiet understand the mechanics behind recordsets on how to define multiple queries. Can you point me in the right direction or provide useful records? 

Thanks again for the help!!

I think you have to write separate bits of code like this one for each situation.
Because you have different query's and you have to refer to specific fields (e.g. EmailSent30days will be different) and the email subject and body will be different, it is hard to make one code that does it all.
You better copy the code each time and adjust what is different for that situation.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Cheri676 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Cheri676 

I have made a new setup for your code. It only shows the main structure. You have to insert the code for actually sending an email.

Dim rec As Recordset

Set rec = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("SELECT * FROM AllActiveLicenceExpiryDueIn30DaysQ")

Do Until rec.EOF
        If Not IsNull(rec!AssignedToEmail) And _
           Not rec!EmailSent30days Then

rec.Edit
            rec.Update
        End If

rec.MoveNext
    Loop
End Sub

View solution in original post