SOLVED

From End to End to Stand Aalone

Copper Contributor
I’m a trustee of a small charity and I look after our access database which has a front and back ends. How do I create a stand alone version as a backup for emergencies?
10 Replies

@Johnwilde11 

"How do I create a stand alone version as a backup for emergencies?"

Make backup copies of both the FE and BE at very frequent intervals (hourly may not be too often for the data, depending on your circumstances).

I see no reason to create "a stand alone" version since the emergency FE can be linked to the emergency BE at any point, if needed.

Thanks for taking the time to help me and for sharing that opinion
I glossed over an important point, though. Sorry.
You would NOT want to create a "stand alone" version if, as I assumed, you mean one accdb with both the FE and BE objects combined because the data would become stale.
Assuming your FE doesn't contain any tables, you would only need to make a backup copy of it after each set of design changes. It can then be retrieved in the event of any corruption to your working copy of the FE.
However, as George stated, the BE data should be backed up regularly, ideally with an automated routine to ensure it doesn't get forgotten.
I thought I had sent this once but I can't find it. We backup every working day. I was just trying to do a "belt and braces" job in case of an emergency and we couldn't get at the backup.. Thanks all for sharing your opinions of my situation.
best response confirmed by Johnwilde11 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Johnwilde11 That's definitely a potential problem, and one that now makes sense in the context of the original question. The issue is that backups may or may not be readily available.

I actually have a relevant story which can be somewhat illustrative.

A friend of mine hired me to assist in a data migration from an accdb be to SQL Server be for one of his clients. We did, advised him to institute a rigorous backup program and went on our way. A few months later, my friend got a panicked call from the client. He'd been attacked by ransomware and the server where his SQL Server db was installed was locked up. He formatted the hard drive and then called my friend for assistance. It turned out that his only backup of the SQL Server database was ALSO ON THAT SAME COMPUTER. He had to hire temps to reenter about 5 months of day from paper invoices.

The moral of the story is that it doesn't matter so much how often or in what format your back up as it does WHERE your backup is, and perhaps how many redundant backups you have on- and off-premises. To the later point, I had another client who used two external hard drives. He used one throughout the day to keep his office computers backed up; he kept the second at home. He brought the home one in every morning and swapped it with the one from the day before so he always had two copies, one on-premises and one off-premises.

So, I definitely get the reason for wanting a back up, or back ups, in an accessible location.

Point taken. I’ll check out the backup procedures and storeage.
I would be very glad of your expertise on another access matter. Is there a way of allowing the staff to enter data in the database But not allow them to get at the structure of tables, forms, etc?

@Johnwilde11 

PMFJI. Not sure whether George is online as its the middle of the night in the USA.
Save your FE as an ACCDE file. This will prevent users being able to view the design of forms and reports and make all code inaccessible. Also hide the ribbon and navigation pane and consider changing the file suffix to ACCDR to simulate runtime mode.
Make sure all tables are stored in a password protected backend and locate it on a restricted folder on the network to prevent users being able to open the BE directly.
Depending on whether you are just trying to deter casual 'tampering' by end users or are concerned about 'professional hacking', you may wish to apply a range of other security measures. See my article for further suggestions: Improve Security 2 - Mendip Data Systems

@Johnwilde11 Colin knows much more than I do about security. His linked resource is one of the best.

Hi George

That's very kind of you to say so though I'm not sure its justified. What I can definitely say is that I've learned a lot from you about all areas of Access over the years

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Johnwilde11 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Johnwilde11 That's definitely a potential problem, and one that now makes sense in the context of the original question. The issue is that backups may or may not be readily available.

I actually have a relevant story which can be somewhat illustrative.

A friend of mine hired me to assist in a data migration from an accdb be to SQL Server be for one of his clients. We did, advised him to institute a rigorous backup program and went on our way. A few months later, my friend got a panicked call from the client. He'd been attacked by ransomware and the server where his SQL Server db was installed was locked up. He formatted the hard drive and then called my friend for assistance. It turned out that his only backup of the SQL Server database was ALSO ON THAT SAME COMPUTER. He had to hire temps to reenter about 5 months of day from paper invoices.

The moral of the story is that it doesn't matter so much how often or in what format your back up as it does WHERE your backup is, and perhaps how many redundant backups you have on- and off-premises. To the later point, I had another client who used two external hard drives. He used one throughout the day to keep his office computers backed up; he kept the second at home. He brought the home one in every morning and swapped it with the one from the day before so he always had two copies, one on-premises and one off-premises.

So, I definitely get the reason for wanting a back up, or back ups, in an accessible location.

View solution in original post