SOLVED

Export to PDF from Access 365 yields 'fuzzy' results

Copper Contributor

I am running Access 365 16.0.13801.21050 32b. 

My report needs to have a background that comes from an external file. This file is originally a PDF (fillable). I have tried importing the PDF file as an OLE Unbound Object, and converting the PDF in Photoshop then importing as an image (JPG, PNG, BMP). Upon export of the report to PDF, no matter any of these import methods, the PDF export always shows the content of the file as fuzzy (with loss of sharpness of the text). What is the best practice way to import with one of my file types then export to PDF to retain the clarity upon export? Thanks a ton, there's got to be a way to do this!

6 Replies

@kmccartn2200 

This problem seems to be more of an image processing process than anything to do with Access, assuming I understand what you mean properly.

Is the image itself clear while the text is fuzzy? Or is just the image fuzzy? Or are both fuzzy? 

Have you tried to insert a different image--one that is not so heavily processed? Is the problem the same?

I've successfully used images on reports in the past without such problems, so I'm curious if you can  get a decent result with a more conventional image.

@George Hepworth 
Thanks for your reply! The image is just text and lines - the text ends up really fuzzy and the lines less fuzzy, but still not as crisp as the original.

I tried with another JPG and got similar results, particularly with the text of the image - it's not crisp enough either.

Our client will hand sign the reports and they have to look better. Thanks again!

@kmccartn2200 

Ah, you are converting text to an image. That's a somewhat different task than a picture itself.

So far as I am aware, scanned text does not give good results as an image. Perhaps the solution is going to be going in a different direction, with direct entry of the text somehow. 

I'm going to have to think about this, though.

Just to be clear, it's not scanned text. The original PDF from the government is fillable and digitally signed so it can't be edited (in Acrobat).
best response confirmed by kmccartn2200 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@kmccartn2200 

Good point, I was referring to my experience scanning text into image files where the resulting pdf was not adequate.

You're trying to import the fillable form as an image from the PDF?

All of this makes me wonder if the repeated conversions are not simply too much to result in a useful final product. I know it's a lot of work, but I'd probably recreate the fillable form as an Access report instead.

One final thought. When you " tried importing the PDF file as an OLE Unbound Object, and converting the PDF in Photoshop then importing as an image (JPG, PNG, BMP)" what resolution was the resulting image. I would expect to have to be at least 300dpi, and preferably 600dpi to be usable at all.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by kmccartn2200 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@kmccartn2200 

Good point, I was referring to my experience scanning text into image files where the resulting pdf was not adequate.

You're trying to import the fillable form as an image from the PDF?

All of this makes me wonder if the repeated conversions are not simply too much to result in a useful final product. I know it's a lot of work, but I'd probably recreate the fillable form as an Access report instead.

View solution in original post