Error message being displayed when trying to open Access Files - "Configuration Error"

Copper Contributor

We are having an issue with Access, We raised the issue with Microsoft Support but they have advised they are unable to assist with the issue as its not within there scope.

When trying to open any of there saved Access files (This is happening for all Users) they are receiving the error message "Configuration information relating to (database) data services appears to be corrupt. Please check the configuration settings in the control panel. If this problem persists please contact your network administrator"

On a test PC that's seeing the same issue i have repair Access and done a complete fresh install of Access, With Microsoft we went through the settings on Access to see if it could be an issue with reading the file but didn't see anything that fixed the issue. Moved the file from the shared location to a local copy on the device but still got the error come up.

Tried to revert it back to a older version of Access from August but it errored and wouldn't allow us to revert it back.

Anyone seen this issue before and have any advise on how to fix this

Kind Regards 

Ryan

5 Replies
It's this a traditional split Access database where both the front-end and back-end are Access databases?
What is the file format? mdb, accdb?
What is your Access build number?
What update channel are you on?
To uninstall office did you use option 2 from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/uninstall-office-from-a-pc-9dd49b83-264a-477a-8fcc-2fdf5d... ?
You say you tried reverting, but what about updating?
Have you tried placing both files on your desktop and telling the table there as a test?
Can you get into the database using the shift bypass?
Have you tried creating a new blank database and importing everything?
Have you tried deleting all your linked tables and recreating them?

@Daniel_Pineault Good Morning Daniel,

Thank you for the response. I've not worked with Access before, So not 100% sure how i would complete some of the steps your provided in regards to the information i have to hand.

The files are ACCDB files

To uninstall Office from the device, I used a script provided by Microsoft which removes all traces of MS from the device so when its reinstalled it is a fresh install of office.

I reverted it back to 2 different version of Access: Version 2008 (Build 13.127.20296) released in August 31. And Version 2009 (Build 13127.20508) released in September 09.

I also updated the software to the newest version available Version 2010 (Build 13328.20292)

In regards to your other questions im unsure right now i've never used Access before and not 100% sure how they have set it up, Ill get a remote connection to the test device we set up and look into gathering the other information.

Hope the above information may shed some light on what we completed so far. 

Regards

Ryan

Thank you for the response. I've not worked with Access before, So not 100% sure how i would complete some of the steps your provided in regards to the information i have to hand.

To uninstall Office from the device, I used a script provided by Microsoft which removes all traces of MS from the device so when its reinstalled it is a fresh install of office.

I reverted it back to 2 different version of Access: Version 2008 (Build 13.127.20296) released in August 31. And Version 2009 (Build 13127.20508) released in September 09.

I also updated the software to the newest version available Version 2010 (Build 13328.20292)

In regards to your other questions im unsure right now i've never used Access before and not 100% sure how they have set it up, Ill get a remote connection to the test device we set up and look into gathering the other information.

Hope the above information may shed some light on what we completed so far. 

Regards

Ryan

Based on the build numbers you must be on either the monthly or insider's update channel. This is risky and means you will continuously get the most recent updates, which means all the new bugs! If switch update channels and hold back. It's revert back several more versions.

Is your office installation 32 or 64 but?
Was the database made for 32 or 64 bit version of Office?

I'd start by copying your database file(s) locally to your PC, use the shift bypass to get into the database, delete all your linked tables and recreate them.

Do you use any VBA code? If so, ensure it compiled without errors.
Because default office installation is now 64-bit, if be curious to uninstall Office and install the 32-bit version and see if that gets around this issue.