creating a relationship between two sharepoint lists in access

Copper Contributor

I have a database I've built for our student admissions information. Due to us all working from home and not being able to share data over LAN I have put the tables in sharepoint. I have two tables, one that has all the student application data, and another that pulls information from a microsoft form where the application reviewers input their review information. 

I have a query that pulls information from both lists for the admins who monitor the process, and they need to enter some manual information which ultimately goes into the applicant table but they need to see some information from the reviewer table. I'm able to build the query with no problem, but the options to enforce referential integrity and the cascade options are greyed out in the relationship, so I can't use them. The query pulls the information, but then we can't make any edits to it. If I remove the relationship and only query one table I can edit it fine. 

Is there a way to relate the two sharepoint tables and be able to still edit the information? I've looked into the all the reasons that it might be blocking us from editing in that query without success. I'm assuming it has something to do with the tables being sharepoint lists. 

Thanks!

1 Reply

@ca2511 

Yes, you can enforce referential integrity on SharePoint lists, but you have to do it on the SharePoint side.

The mechanism to do that is the Lookup Field! Honestly, that's the only case in which I would use Lookup Fields, but because it's the way you have to enforce RI on SharePoint lists, it's what you have to do.

The problem, of course, is that you can't convert your existing Foreign Key fields to Lookups in SharePoint, you have to add the Lookup field and use that as the new Foreign Key, being careful to update existing values appropriately.