Creating a Google-like Contact Database

Copper Contributor

I am trying to help a charity where volunteers who are not computer literate will be doing the data entry in Access.  My hope is to make it as easy and as similar to using the Google search engine as possible.

The volunteers will search for contacts using the first & last name, phone number, or postal address; and then be able to click on a result which would hyperlink to a form displaying that contact’s complete profile.   

Is this even possible in Access?  If not, what would be the closest alternative?  Any help big or small would be greatly appreciated! 

3 Replies

Where would the details of those contacts be stored? Are you really talking about a google search of the internet? Or something else?

You might get some ideas from this Contact Management database on my website.

@George Hepworth 

The details for each contact would be stored within the same Access desktop database.  

I say "google-like" database only as a means to describe the user interface and how the volunteers would go about searching for contacts.  The database would not be on the internet or link to anything on the internet.   

@USA_Charity Check that download, then. It does what you describe, and more. You could likely adapt it to your specific requirements.