Convert From Accde/Accdr back to Accdb

Copper Contributor

We have a need to convert a database from .accde/.accdr back to .accdb.  Weekly now, from 12/24/2022 to present, the error 3464 Datatype mismatch in criteria expression pops up. After recompiling the database, it works for a while, about a week later, the error resurfaces.  We have narrowed down the place where the error occurs, it is one form.  We have altered the extension from .accdr to .accdb but that does nothing for code access/view as the VBA objects remain in an unviewable state.

I appreciate any insight you may have. 

12 Replies

@John_Vallier 

Unfortunately, there is no way to convert an accde to an accdb. That's actually one of the reasons for creating an accde: changes to VBA and other objects are blocked.

Somewhere in your environment, you should have the original accdb from which the accde was created. You can use it to correct the error and then recreate a new accde to replace this one with the flaw in it. 

if for any extension change and the db code is still unviewable, then it is an .accde.
changing the extension does not change the fact that it is already compiled as accde.
access will see this by reading the file signature.

Hi George,

Actually there is 1 way: Wayne's conversion service

It's commercial, but the only one and excellent.

Servus
Karl
Access Bug Trackers
Access News
Access DevCon

George - thank you for replying. The original .accdb is available. We have just been recompiling it and releasing back to production. It works for a while but eventually the error pops up.
Thank you arnel_gp for replying.

Ah, the original description implied that you didn't have the accdb. So, the problem is in that accdb itself. That's where you have to find and correct the problem BEFORE recompiling to accde again.

It is possibly an unhandled error in the VBA, OR incipient corruption in the source accdb. 

Karl's right about the conversion service, and I would have suggested that if you didn't have the acdb to work with.

The uncompiled .accdb works without problems. The issue is really strange because it occurs only after recompiling and it's been in use for about a week. I've worked with access a very long time and have never encountered this type of behavior. The conversion service has been in touch now so I'll work with them. Thank you all very much for your responses.
"...it occurs only after recompiling and it's been in use for about a week..."

How about when you use the full accdb for about a week, does it continue to work correctly also?
hi, Did you try decompiling the accdb before compiling and generating the accde ?
I normally just recompile the accdb. I can perform the decompile if and when the error pops up again.

No, the decompilation only works with an accdb.
It recreates many important things in an accdb. I do it before each delivery in production.
This may fix your problem.

Use this procedure on my blog :
http://blogaccess.free.fr/?p=75

Yes, I understand only the accdb for decompile. I will probably add the decompile step to our production migration process. Thank you.