Constant database conflicts

Copper Contributor

We operate a small law office.  We have used Access for our client database for many years and it worked well for us until Covid lockdowns started.  The primary data file is saved as .accdb file and each user uses an individual Access form linked to the data file.  Our primary data file as saved to dropbox and saved locally on a file server.  The user interface links to the dropbox folder on the file server.  This all worked fine for years.  When lockdowns happened and people started working from home they now have a local copy of the dropbox folder on their laptops.  They still have a local interface file which links to the primary database file in dropbox but also saved to their laptops and back to the file server in the office.  We now constantly get conflicted copies of the database and lots of entries go missing.  Does anyone know of a way to deal with this please?  

23 Replies

Thanks for the tips everyone.  I think I have found a very easy and free solution.  Each staff member uses the same google account on laptop for home and desktop in the office so I have simply set up Google Chrome Remote Desktop and they can each access their desktops at work which we can turn on each day they are working from home.  Simple.  Cheap (Free) and so far it seems to work quite effectively. @JasonC888 

Google Remote Vs MS RDP - each have their pros and cons, The Google RD uses the resolution of the host PC. RDP uses the full display resources available on the Remote device. I've yet to find a way to send F11 (or Atl+F11) via Google remote to open the nav pane or VBE but for most users this isn't an issue. Google RD is easier to setup but MS RDP is not too hard, you just need a Win Pro OS. Where the Google Remote shines is its assist mode where two people can both see and effect the same PC at the same time. That's useful if you need to remotely assist one of your staff. You can't do that with MS RDP.

@JasonC777 glad to ear you applied one of my two proposed solutions. Did you activate any sort of wake on lan on your pcs, or you are going to leave them always on?

Ciao

There are still some people in the office so we will just turn on the desktops of those working at home during the relevant days and set them so they don't go to sleep during the day.