Connecting Outlook Calendar to Access Database

Copper Contributor

Is anyone able to help me with linking my outlook shared calendar to a access database?

8 Replies

@cs365admin 

Unfortunately, your question has lingered with no response for a few days, primarily, I think, because of the lack of specificity. "linking an Outlook shared calender to a relational database application in Access" is a fairly complex undertaking, one that requires a lot of information and some amount of coding skill, most likely. 

If you've not found a solution and still want assistance, please describe, in more detail, the context in which this will need to be done and the business rules that determine what "linking" to that calendar will involve.

I spoke too soon. Linking an Outlook calender is actually one of the options under "External Data" in the Ribbon.. Step through the Wizard to find the calender folder you want and link it. It will then appear as a table in your Access relational database application. 

LinktoOutlookFolder.jpg

When linking outlook calendars to Access this way, it appears that many dates and valuable fields do not link with the relevant data. No scheduled start date, start time, end time, etc..

@baumb79any news regarding start dates end dates when importing data from outlook agenda?

TIA

Hi, did you find a solution regarding missing informations?

@pbaugard I did not find a resolution with the linking method. I did however spend some time looping through all Folders using the following code

'Use this for Late Binding
Dim objApp As Object
Dim NameSpace As Object
Dim fdrCalendar As Object
Dim ItemAppt As Object
Dim Appt_LoadInfo As String
'Use this for Early Binding and create a reference to Miscrosoft Outlook Object Library
'Dim objApp As Outlook.Application
'Dim NameSpace As Outlook.NameSpace
'Dim fdrCalendar As Outlook.MAPIFolder
'Dim ItemAppt As Outlook.AppointmentItem

Dim rst As Recordset
'Dim vMisc As Variant
Dim strEntryID As String
Dim strStoreID As String
Dim ApptSub() As String

On Error GoTo ErrorCode

Set objApp = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
    Set NameSpace = objApp.GetNamespace("MAPI")

then scrolling through the debug window to find the entryID and storeID of the folder I wanted to target (long and tedious but super effective. :D)

Set fdrCalendar = NameSpace.GetFolderFromID(strEntryID, strStoreID)
For Each ItemAppt In fdrCalendar.Items
'Do all my processing here
Next

With this method, I've been able to import the necessary items into my Events table as well as export new Events to the Outlook folder.

Thank you for checking in on me.

hi Baumb79,

Thx a lot for your answer, could you send me your database or un extract based on your calendar?
Hi Baumb79,

Is it possible to better understand the code ?

Best regards