SOLVED

cannot open a database created with an older version of the application

Copper Contributor

Hi Everyone
I'm trying to open an access file with .mdb extension.
Unfortunately I have access 2019 and I get this error:
"cannot open a database created with an older version of the application"

How can I do?
Do I need to install access 2003? as ?
Thanks a lot to everyone.
forgive my bad english.

5 Replies
I think Access 2010 could convert mdb files, not sure, though.

@Gerry02 

All versions of Access from A2010 onwards can open MDB files created in A2000 or later.

The error message indicates that your file was created in an earlier version e.g. A97

If its an A97 file, it can be opened in A2007

However if it was created in A95, A2.0 or A1.0 then it will need to be opened by an earlier version

If you don't have access to A2007 or earlier, then I can do the conversion for you but may charge for my time if its not straightforward. Let me know if you want me to do so

best response confirmed by Gerry02 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Gerry02 You can extract tables from an old .MDB database into Excel as long as they are under ~1,000,000 rows. It's a bit time-consuming (one table at a time), but you can load them all onto worksheets, save the Excel file and then import them to a new .accdb database, as follows:
1. Open Excel.
2. Select Data | Get Data | Legacy wizards | From Data Connection Wizard (Legacy)
3. In the Data Connection Wizard, select Other/Advanced and then Next
4. Select Microsoft Jet 4.0 OLE DB provider from the list of Providers, then Next
5. Browse and select the .mdb file. Leave the username as "Admin" and 'Blank password' ticked (checked), then Ok
6. The tables in the database should be displayed. Select one, then Next
7. No need to change anything in the 'Save Data Connection File and Finish' screen. Select Finish
8. In the Excel Import Data dialog, select where you want to put the data and click Ok
9. The table will be imported to Excel.
10. Repeat for all tables.

I don't have an Access 97 mdb handy to test. Does this procedure work with Jet 3.5 version mdbs from Access 97 or earlier as well as Jet 4.0 version mdbs?

@George Hepworth I'm not sure if this works on other versions of Jet. I stumbled across it yesterday. I have a couple of Access97 mdbs that you can try it on if you want. Not sure how to get them to you. Try this link. It should get me to approve access to a OneDrive folder:  MDB

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Gerry02 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Gerry02 You can extract tables from an old .MDB database into Excel as long as they are under ~1,000,000 rows. It's a bit time-consuming (one table at a time), but you can load them all onto worksheets, save the Excel file and then import them to a new .accdb database, as follows:
1. Open Excel.
2. Select Data | Get Data | Legacy wizards | From Data Connection Wizard (Legacy)
3. In the Data Connection Wizard, select Other/Advanced and then Next
4. Select Microsoft Jet 4.0 OLE DB provider from the list of Providers, then Next
5. Browse and select the .mdb file. Leave the username as "Admin" and 'Blank password' ticked (checked), then Ok
6. The tables in the database should be displayed. Select one, then Next
7. No need to change anything in the 'Save Data Connection File and Finish' screen. Select Finish
8. In the Excel Import Data dialog, select where you want to put the data and click Ok
9. The table will be imported to Excel.
10. Repeat for all tables.

View solution in original post