Can't update DAO recordset - Access crashes and closes

Copper Contributor

I have a database that has hardly changed in many years. Using it today (11/15), at least some DAO recordset operations cause it to crash and close with no message. It last worked just fine a month ago (10/13).  I have excerpted  from the code (which is either adding or recreating an invoice)

Dim db As DAO.Database 
Dim rstInv As DAO.Recordset

Dim sql as String

lngInvoiceNo - 1234  'for example

sql = "SELECT * FROM Invoices Where InvoiceID = " & lngInvoiceNo
Set rstInv = db.OpenRecordset(sql)
With rstInv
    If .RecordCount Then
      .Edit
   Else
     .AddNew
       rstInv!InvoiceID = lngInvoiceNo '''' dies here
       rstInv!InvDate = varInvDate
    End If

Access pauses at the marked line, then just closes entirely. I have taken steps to make sure its not the data, and similar things happening throughout the db. I found one windows office update in the last month and uninstalled it. It feels like my syntax is no longer valid though I have no errors in my references list and the VBA compiles. 

Any thoughts on this most welcome, needless tosay.

(Ugh, this is not my usual profile here...) 

3 Replies
what Fieldtype is InvoiceID? Autonumber?

Hi,

This is a bug that has been confirmed by Microsoft and will be fixed, but it only affects the Preview/Insider=beta channels (versions 2211/2212), not the Current channel (currently on version 2210). See also https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdates/update-history-microsoft365-apps-by-date.

Personally, I don't run productive systems with the beta channels, but only with "productive" update channels like Current. This at least increases the chance that bugs will be fixed beforehand.

Servus
Karl
Access News
Access DevCon

Hi,

For all who are on Current Channel Preview = version 2011 with build 15831.xyz:

You can choose "Update Now" to get 15831.20122 immediately or wait for the update to happen in the next days.

A fix for the Beta Channel (version 2212) should follow soon.

Servus
Karl
Access News
Access DevCon