Can't add new table field to form

Copper Contributor

Hi there,

I have an existing database that I need to modify to add more required fields to store data in. I have successfully added a new check box to the customer table to mark which customers tax is applicable to which is linked to invoice forms and that worked fine.  I am now trying to add something I thought a lot simpler which I can't make work. I am simply trying to add a few field to a supplier table to store people's email addresses in.  I have added the field to the source table and tried to go into the database to edit the form to add the new field and it won't come up in the list of available fields - every other field does however.  I have set it up as a short text field and tried deleting it in the source table and re-adding it and saving but to no avail. If I open source table not in design view the new field is there with no data yet entered. I have a split database as well if that helps.  I can't work out why I could get the more complicated tax problem in my customer table sorted but can't add a simple text field to the supplier table?

4 Replies

@Brent2365 

It sounds to me like the recordsource for this form might be a query, based on that table, not on the table directly. If that's the case, you'll need to modify that query to include the new field as well.

If that's not the problem, we'll have to dig deeper.

Hi George, thanks for your reply. I don’t THINK that the record source for the form is a query but I may be wrong. Although if I go into the *.data file to edit the source table, in the window on the left all the tables are listed together as tables. I have made the form as a user interface in order to add data to the table. If I want to add any of the other original fields from the table I can do that fine - just not the new email address text box that I have added to the table which is confusing me. It’s like I’m doing something wrong when adding the the new text box? I have tried deleting it from the table, adding it again and saving. I’ve also tried going in to the linked table manager and refreshing it all to see if that helps to no avail. I should also add that if I open the table in normal view rather than design view, I can see the new email address field listed next to the other fields so it seems to add it to the table okay? It just won’t appear in the available fields when trying to edit the form I built

@Brent2365 

I am quite sure that the problem is not in the table and all of that effort on the table has been wasted.
"I don’t THINK that the record source for the form is a query but I may be wrong. "
Verify that before investing any more time on the table itself. 

It could be that the report's recordsource is a saved query, or it could be a SQL String like this one.

reportrecordsource.png

The symptoms you describe match up VERY well with what I am suggesting. There is a query in the report's recordsource (saved or SQL string) and that query does not yet include the new field from the table. No matter what you do to the table, it will have no impact on that query until you edit the query.

If I am wrong, of course, we move on to other, less likely, sources of the problem.
Thanks.