Appcrash Access / VBA

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I am part of a development team that has an application written in access / vba (access runtime 2000) in production and without installing any updates on some machines, with the Windows 10/11 operating system, the program no longer starts.

Searching the internet, we found this article:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-gb/DeployOffice/security/internet-macros-blocked#use-policies-to-mana...

Could the problem be related to this update?
We tried following the guidelines to get it back up and running but couldn't fix it.

Has anyone faced and solved any similar problem?

Thanks for any help.

---

Salve,

faccio parte di un team di sviluppo che ha in produzione un'applicazione scritta in access / vba (access runtime 2000) e senza l'installazione di nessun aggiornamento su alcune macchine, con sistema operativo Windows 10/11, il programma non parte più.

Eseguendo delle ricerche su internet abbiamo trovato questo articolo:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-gb/DeployOffice/security/internet-macros-blocked#use-policies-to-mana...

Il problema potrebbe essere collegato a questo aggiornamento?
Abbiamo provato ad seguire le linee guida per ripristinare il funzionamento ma non siamo riusciti a risolvere.

Qualcuno ha affrontato e risolto qualche problema simile?

Grazie per un eventuale aiuto.

13 Replies

@Stratus78 

Because you have an existing mdb and did not download it from internet, it  is not likely that the problem is related to the new macro blocking policy.

However, you are still running Access runtime 2000? Is that correct? 

@George Hepworth 

Thanks for your answer.

What I understood is that the VBA code is blocked.

In fact, even creating a word 2000 file with a simple open event, word crashes during opening.

Private Sub Document_Open()
'
End Sub

the reason that it won't open is the db is in old format.
convert it to At least 2007 version.

note i donwloaded northwind 2000 on my PC with A2021 and it wont open.
HI,
this is not the case because i run an adp with the connection to Sql Server using access runtime 2000.

So no file conversion took place.

In fact, as I said before, even if I simply open a Word 2000 file, the program crash.

Thank you
runtime will work without access being installed.
do you have access installed on the computer you want to run this db?
if you have which version?
you can also google of what version of MS Office will run on Windows 10/11.
HI,
the crash occurred on a development machine where I routinely test the application after changes.

After restarting the computer, the program stopped running.

Same thing happened on 2 other computers.

On all 3 computers we had windows updates blocked and suddenly it stopped working first on 2 machines with windows 10 and then on another machine with windows 11.

Thanks for your help.

@Stratus78 

Unfortunately, you seem to be running into the problem of trying to use 20+ year old software on a new generation of Operating Systems. You note that the problem appeared on computers running Windows 10 and 11. Check the compatibility references for Windows 10 and 11. Does that documentation mention specific versions of Office which are or are not supported? Does it indicate that Office 2000 is supported? 

It's hard to see how to help, given the circumstances.

I understand that there is an adp involved and they are highly version sensitive, which was one of the factors in deprecating them, IIRC. That also means you are committed to maintaining the environment, i.e. the operating system, which supports them. Or you must upgrade to a version of the Office applications which are supported on Windows 10 and 11.

I would be interested to learn of the results of your due diligence search for documentation that indicates Office 2000 is, or is not, supported on Windows 10 and 11.

HI,
searching the internet I found this article talking about vba script blocking from February 2023:

However, it is not clear whether it refers only to documents / office files from the internet or even those already present on computers.

Running all the possible solutions mentioned could not solve the problem.

Do you have any other ideas. I've been working on it since Wednesday.

Thanks for your help.
did you really tried all possible solutions?
that include converting your Old db to Newer db (compatible to A2019 or better?)

@arnel_gp 

Hi, a colleague of mine tried translating the project from adp to accdb but failed. 

I don't know what to try anymore or who to ask.

Do you have any idea?

Thank you

@Stratus78   You might want to try just upgrading in increments.  I understand your pain with ADP.  I have an ADP program that needs to be converted as well, but it can be a monumental task.  Try upgrading it to an Access 2003 ADP file.  That is the last version that supported ADP if memory serves.  But you can run ADPs all the way up to Office 2010... Right now I have a VM running Window 10 with Office 2010 running an ADP application and its working fine... but remember they stopped supporting ADP in I believe SQL Server 2008, though  you could try running it on newer versions in compatibility mode.  Good Luck...

HI,
I found the solution to the problem:
add msaccess on
system-->system setting
advanced-->performance-->settings-->program execution prevention.
press add and select msaccess.exe.

Thanks for your help.
You should be able to open any A2000 format database in all current versions of Access. That includes Northwind 2000 which I can open kn A365. In fact, by coincidence, I will be using that as part of a presentation on automatic form resizing to Access DevCon next week,