Adobe Integration Issue

Copper Contributor

From within my Access app, I've been able to open, edit, save and close a pdf file using the Adobe Acrobat reference. The app had been running great for several months.  Recently, the VBA "Save" command no longer saves the pdf.  I have verified this issue on multiple devices and similar Access apps.  Adobe Support says they're not at blame.  Is anyone aware of a patch, update, etc. from Microsoft (or Adobe) that might be causing this issue?

9 Replies
Can you please clarify exactly which reference you are using (complete reference name and filename without the path). Also what is your SAVE code line?

I'm using the Adobe Acrobat 10.0 Type Library reference. The filename is Acrobat.tlb.

Here's my code:

Dim intA As Integer
intA = theForm.Save(1, B)
If theForm.Save(1, B) = False Then
  MsgBox "Error 'If theForm.Save(1, B) = False' has occurred.", vbCritical, "Error"
  theForm.Close
  Kill B
  AcroApp.Exit
  Set AcroApp = Nothing
  Set theForm = Nothing
  Exit Sub
End If

However, it appears I may have sorted this out. As you may recall, my VBA "Save" command stopped saving newly-edited pdf files sometime recently.

Using two PCs, I tested several configurations and this is what I found:

• Fully-updated (Microsoft) + Adobe Acrobat DC (installed 1/12/22): Doesn't work
  • Fully-updated (Microsoft) + Adobe Acrobat DC 2020: Works fine
  • Not-recently-updated (Microsoft) + Adobe Acrobat DC 2020: Works fine

As such, I'm of the opinion that the issue is with my latest version (2021.011.20039) of Adobe Acrobat DC.

Thanks for your interest!

That seems logical to me. You do not say what Adobe Acrobat DC 2020 + Adobe Acrobat DC (installed 1/12/22): does. I guess I was not aware that there was a DC 2020 version. I thought there was a DC version and a 2020 version...
I did not install and test both apps simultaneously. My goal is to get my Acrobat subscription working correctly. I'm currently working with Adobe to resolve this issue and will report my findings.

After first telling me I needed to upgrade to an Enterprise License (wrong) followed by "it's impossible to roll-back to my previous version" (wrong), I received an email today from Adobe with excellent instructions on rolling-back to my previous version.  As expected, all good now.

@Ken_RavazzoloSorry to bother you on an old post but curious on a bit more detail.

You issue revolved around using VBA code and the Adobe SDK to save a document ? ie using CreateObject("AcroExch.AVDoc") etc.

Did your solution basically mean that the Acrobat 2020 version worked with Windows 11 but the later versions did not ?

No bother at all.

I have two devices (both were running Win 10 at the time.) My code worked great on Device A (running Acrobat 2020) as well as Device B (running the subscription version of Acrobat.) However, last January, my issue occurred on Device B following an Acrobat update. I did a lot of debugging, e.g., putting 2020 on Device B and the subscription version on Device A, creating a test environment, making sure both copies of Windows were updated, etc.

Unfortunately, Adobe was no help initially. However, I finally found an Adobe engineer who walked me through a subscription roll-back. Once done, my app worked great.

The subscription version worked well for a few of months, but then, one day, the same issue occurred again. No longer having the patience to work with Adobe, I completely uninstalled Acrobat, cancelled my subscription and implemented a Python-based solution. All is good now. My app runs under Windows 11. Moreover, I no longer have to deal with Adobe!

I hope this helps.

@Ken_RavazzoloBrilliant thank you. You have confirmed my suspicion regarding the subscription side of things and saved me a lot of angst. Will look to similarly eradicate adobe :)

To fix these errors, follow the given steps.
Create a new local user account with administrator privileges for your machine. ...
Sign in to your machine using that account.
Uninstall the Creative Cloud desktop app using the Creative Cloud desktop app uninstaller.
Download the Creative Cloud desktop app.

Regards,
Will