accessing file in access viewer

Copper Contributor

i accidently uninstalled Microsoft 365 which came with the laptop, so i downloaded access viewer and now i cant even see my file as it says it comes from an untrustworthy source even tough it was created using ms365. the file has also changed to an accdb file? im finding it very frustrating at the moment. also i cant revert back to a previous version as its saying there isn't one and i cant revert the laptop to an older version as i have not created a restore point. is there anything else i can do without forking out money?

3 Replies

@steffanio19 

There appear to be a few issues.

1) The version of MS 365 which comes with new laptop is usually a trial version anyway, which eventually would have required buying a license. Did you pay for an MS 365 license at the time? Consult the vendor of the laptop, though to be sure. Perhaps, if you can verify that you did buy a licensed copy with the laptop, the vendor can help you out.

2) There is no "Access viewer" per se. Can you explain what you did download more precisely? Perhaps the Runtime?

3) ALL Access database files have the extension .accdb (older versions were .mdb), or a variation of that, so the actual work you created while you had MS 365 is still there in that accdb. It was NOT changed, though, it was always an accdb. The execution file for Access itself would be called MSAccess.exe, with the familiar .exe extension common to all executable application files. 

Unfortunately, if you don't have records showing how you acquired and paid for license originally, it might be hard to recover. Start with the laptop vendor's support.

hi , thank you i will try through hp first.@steffanio19 

HP is a reputable vendor. Their support should be able to help sort out the licensing if they provided it with their laptop.