SOLVED

access status bar show half height

Copper Contributor

Access 365. My status bar is half height. Record numbers etc. shows only half and are hard to read.

Happened a few years back, but don't remember what the fix is.

I'm a extremely low level Access user. But I've been using Word since it was on one 360 floppy. so Microsoft office has been my program forever. I updated from 2003 to 365.  (May I say ...yuck?)

Here's a screenshot. Tried changing screen resolutions, font sizes, and have spent 2 hrs browsing for an answer. 

Anyhow, hope someone can tell me the fix. I'll give an email as I might not remember to get back to this page.  pdxaz714@gmail.com

thanks for any help

41 Replies

@isladogs 

Here's a screen shot of mine.  I tried to upload an .accdb file but I get a message that the content doesn't match the extension and it's removed.  But again, the issue occurs immediately with every new database that I create but does not occur when I open the same database on a different pc, so I don't see how it can be connected to the .accdb file itself.  Thanks again.

LighthouseLowell_0-1667925139087.png

@LighthouseLowell 

Sorry but I can't do anything with a screenshot

I don't think its an issue with the ACCDB file itself either. I believe its an issue related to your display settings or drivers but I'm willing to investigate given an opportunity. 

The reason I keep asking you and others to upload a database is so I can test it on another machine.

Try zipping the database before uploading it

OR email it to me as I have already mentioned

If I can replicate the issue, I will report it directly to the Access team but I can't do so based on screenshots alone

I have tried to upload a sample DB but while I thought it had worked it obviously didn't. Tried uploading on the page that comes up when you click on your user name. https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/1007894

Can't see a direct email address for you anywhere.

I suggested you find my email on the contact page of my website: https://isladogs.co.uk/contact/

@terryiterry90

Hi Terry

Thanks for sending the database to me by email

This is a copy of my reply so others involved in this thread can also see my response:

You may not like what I'm about to tell you but (as I suspected), it displays perfectly on my computer

isladogs_0-1667944874704.png

So it appears to be an issue either with your monitor or with your display drivers.

Please try the following:

a) adjusting the settings on your monitor e.g. vertical height

b) changing the screen resolution

c) updating your display drivers

Good luck

I have tried everything I can think of with settings, resolution, drivers, and different monitors. I just tried a usb monitor, and had the same issue with it. This is a tad anecdotal as I have a limited variety of machines to test on, but it seems pretty clearly related to a specific generation of Lenovo laptops.
To me, this seems to confirm that its likely to be an issue with your display drivers.
I have an old Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 laptop and it isn't afflicted with this issue

But as I keep saying, one thing you haven't tried is uploading a sample database for testing as @terryiterry90 duid earlier
Thanks all, I'm using a Dell desktop with Windows 10 and MS Office 2019. I've tried changing all sorts of settings including display but nothing solved the problem, guess it is something I'll have to put up with.

@LighthouseLowell I have the same problem on a HP laptop [and also the width of the "number of records" field is not wide enough anymore], so not a Lenovo problem.

best response confirmed by isladogs (MVP)
Solution

@Sjraar 

This issue also came up in the thread at another forum https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/threads/office-365-record-selector-bar-is-partly-hidden.....

Another forum member suggested the cause & I can now reliably replicate the issue (tested on 2 PCs) as well as describing the fix

The screenshot below shows my Access window with a form & 2 queries all showing part of the navigation bar hidden

Capture.PNG

Notice the huge size of the text in the Access menu, nav pane & status bar .... that's the cause

I had previously tested increasing the scaling in Windows settings but that doesn't cause the issue as all screen elements are scaled up by the same amount.

However changing Make Text Bigger in Windows settings by moving the slider to the right does cause the issuebecause the text size is increased but other design elements remain unchanged

Capture2.PNG

To fix the problem, move the slider significantly to the left and click apply.

The default setting is at the extreme left (100%)

Close & re-open Access and all should now be fine

If you need text to be larger, then I suggest using the Make Everything Bigger scaling in Windows Settings instead e.g. 125% or 150% so everything increases in proportion.

Please can anyone affected by ths issue test the above & report back on whether it solves your issue

Thanks

Unfortunately, this didn't resolve it for me. My "make text bigger" was already at the minimum value. "Make everything bigger" is at 125% (Recommended). I just experimented with changing these both to several different values (including setting both to their minimums), but none of them resolved this issue. Thanks for your continued efforts on this, I do appreciate it.
Did you remember to close and restart Access after changing the slider / % values?
Also check whether you have anything magnified in the Ease of Access section of Windows settings.
Finally check the default font size in Access options.. Object Designers
Yes, I closed and restarted Access after each change.
Per your suggestion, I just checked magnification settings in the Ease of Access area. The magnifier is turned off.
I'm on a pretty clean install of Windows and Office, but did check Access Options - Object Designer. Default font size for query design is Segoe UI 8pt. No other font settings to play with there. I'm certain I haven't changed anything in this area.
OK - it appears this hasn't solved your problems

I've just finished writing this up as a web article: https://isladogs.co.uk/nav-bar-height/
If anything else arises, I will update the article
I finally found a resolution to this!! My Windows scroll bars were set really small, to -96 height and width. I changed them per the instructions here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/widen-scroll-bar-windows-10/24c1df8e-8c76-4653...

I switched to -400, which is kind of big so I'll probably adjust it again, but as of now my Access record navigation buttons are completely visible and life is much improved.

I hope this is helpful to others.

@LighthouseLowell 

Thank you, a perfect answer- it works both set at -350. Doesn't interfere with any other settings.

Merry Christmas.

@LighthouseLowell 

Many thanks. Just checked and it does indeed work.

I wasn't aware until now where those settings were in the registry

The only remaining problem seems to be that the record counter doesn't get any wider to accommodate large text so you can't see all the contents.

Anyway - I'm going to refer a user at Access World Forums to your post & add your solution to my web article on this topic: Fixing the Navigation Bar Half Height problem (isladogs.co.uk)

Thanks again

@isladogs I've been having this problem for several years. I just verified that it happens in all three of the Access databases I use regularly. I created a blank database just now (same problem) to upload, but I don't see a way to upload it, even if I expand the "resize editor" as shown in the screenshot.

@PLabreche 

You didn't upload a screensyhot.

Can I assume you've tried the solutions in my article but those didn't work for you?

The basic reply window is text only but there is an HTML version.

When you click reply, you will see a link below the reply window Open Full Text Editor: Click that and a new window appears with a toolbar

Click the ellipsis (...) to expand as below and add a link to the file that will work here

isladogs_0-1678212651397.png

Or use the add files feature below the reply window

isladogs_0-1678212918147.png

It would be helpful to add a screenshot also. You can paste that direct into the reply window

@isladogs Sorry, I'd missed some of the responses. I found the fix--I had to go to the Windows 10 settings and reset display setting to 100% rather than larger. That fixed the problem. I'll just have to adjust my reading glasses!