Access Query Error Message

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I am a beginner user of Microsoft Access. Also, I do not know SQL.

When trying to run my Access Query I receive the following error message:

"The SQL statement could not be executed because it contains ambiguous outer joins. To force one of the joins to be performed first, create a separate query that performs the first join and then include that query in your SQL statement."

Can you please tell me how to resolve this issue, and if there is a You Tube video to help me with this solution?

Thank you for the help!

JeffL1961

3 Replies
You have a query with at least 3 tables, and a combination of inner joins and outer joins.
In Access, the simplest way to say it, is that the arrows all need to point in the same direction, so you may need to change an inner join to an outer join.
The alternative, as suggested by the error message (separate query) is hard to describe to someone without SQL knowledge.
Maybe is you post a sample database in a public location like a free OneDrive account, a kind soul in this forum may be able to help.
Good Morning Tom, Thank you for the quick reply. I just sent a OneDrive link to your email. There are two files. Our month end close process starts today for one week, so please take all the time you need. Thank you, and your help is very much appreciated!
Is everything good now?