Access: Import XLS error using import wizard

Copper Contributor

getting "Automation Error Element Not Found" when using access External Data - New Data Source - Excel file - the file i tried to import was new and empty - 

9 Replies
of course you will get an error when At Least the Column header is not there.
it will complain because what columns will it import then?

Update:  I removed all Office products, rebooted, only installed Access 2021 and the import wizard works fine.  Reboot and then install Office Home & Student 2013 and install Outlook 2013.  boot, go to access and importing the same xls worksheet as above but now it doesn't works - Error:  External Data - From File - Excel - import same file as above (doesn't matter whether I import into a new table or into an existing table - I now Get Error:  Import Spreadsheet Wizard: Automation Error Element Not Found.  The same issue exists if I use Access 2016. 

I am also getting this error importing an Excel .xlsx spreadsheet into an Access database using exactly the same procedure I have used every quarter for the past 12 years.
I am using Microsoft Office Professions 2019 with updates automatically downloaded and installed.
Access version 2207 (Build 15427.20210 Click-to-Run)
This seems like it might be an updated issue (last Office update appears to be 8/14/2022).

This was resolved using the Office Repair Online tool as suggested on another thread by DaveM121
to quote
Open Control Panel - Programs and Features
Click Microsoft Office in the list of installed applications
At the top, click 'Change'
On the resulting dialog, click 'Repair' - choose the online repair, it is a comprehensive fix

That should fix any issues with your Office Installation . . .

The Office Repair tool a"Online Repair" actually uninstalls office when I run it, and I still get the error after reinstalling and updating - the worksheet has 3 named columns with data in 3 rows.  The only 'fix' I found was to write a macro to import the data, which works ONLY if the xls worksheet is open.   The error I get is:  "import spreadsheet wizard. automation error element not found".

Resolution
Use the *.xlsx format instead.
Restrict any memo/long text fields to a length less than 8224 bytes.
When exporting, delete the existing .xls file before performing the export using the same file name.
Open the .xls file in Excel before performing the Import/Export from Access.

Regards,
Will

@SilSanders 

Similar symptom again on 2/12023.  Followed the Office Repair Online tool procedure I outlined above and all is well.

my table in Excel seems just fine. all with Column headers. I still get the same error.
I have tried this but still it doesn't work. The issue persists.