SOLVED

Access freezes when I copy a record

Brass Contributor

Windows 11 Office 365 Access

Suddenly, when I copied a record in the database Access froze as if it didn't have enough memory. I tried compact and repair, repairing Office, uninstalling and reinstalling Office 365, exporting the database into CSV and importing back as text into a new table in a clean database, after that didn't work, I reduced the number of entries by 80% and imported as text into a fresh table. It still froze as soon as I control-C for 45 to 50 seconds each time.

A completely different Access database is experiencing a shorter delay after each control-C

Has anyone encountered this error or know a reputable contractor who specializes in such file specific issues?

100 Replies
Thanks. That makes total sense. I had thought about trying that myself.
The Windows Uninstall function didn't list KB5019980, so I tried using the command prompt and the manual uninstaller. It had appeared to have uninstalled KB5019980, but the Access copy-paste freeze problem is still occurring, and the Windows update history doesn't show an uninstall (not sure that it shows uninstalls anyway). It does still show KB5019980 as having been successfully installed on 11/9/2022. I'm still stuck at this point.
Have you heard anything back from Access team? I have still heard nothing and have been unable to get through to them otherwise. Last post asked for $499 to submit a new ticket.
Nope, haven't heard anything yet.
I uninstalled Update KB5019980 from my Windows 11, Access 2019 workstations and it fixed the problem as you observed.
Very grateful to you for the insight - This was causing quite an issue with our normal project entry process.
Paul B
Just got a new CPU with WIN11 and I am having the same problem. Do not see an option to uninstall KB5019980
You can uninstall it with the command prompt Microsoft manual uninstall tool, but I did that and it didn't fix the problem.

Thank you, I will try it. I hope you are able to get your issue resolved. I will let you know how my issue works out. Happy Thanksgiving!

I am having the same issue. Very frustrating.
It is clear from your responses that this is an Access wide issue that probably resulted from a WIN 11 update. MS support, including for business which is supposed to support Access, insists this a "table specific" issue - a flaw in one or more of my tables - rather than an Access issue. As such, they want $499 for me just to submit a ticket. Worst experience I have had with MS Support in 35 years. Anyone know how to communicate to the Access team that this is an Access issue?
That's unconscionable. If I have time today I'll construct a simple step-by-step if creating a new table with the obvious freeze flaw, which will be indisputable by MSC support because it's a newly created table.
Access freezes when I copy a record

@Art_Menius Need to create a test environment / development server of our business database to protect data

Thanks. The front line people have seen the error happen but think it is specific to tables in my databases.
I remain stonewalled by MS Support, fruitlessly asking them to look at this thread to see it isn't my issue and not because my copy of Access is corrupt.

This afternoon after once again fruitlessly asking them to look at this thread, I asked on chat: "In other words, this is a bug. Is there no way to report a new bug to the Access developers without paying $499 to submit a ticket?"

MS Support: "I really do apologize as the issue that you are having is already out of my scope of support and I am not trained for that. And to have assistance on your issue, you will be needing to create a support ticket to them [support hub]."

@Art_Menius We are aware of the issue, and it does look like a problem in Windows. It is being investigated.

I greatly appreciate this response, Shane. It has been a time consuming and frustrating experience trying to communicate with MS Support for business

@Shane Groff 

I have the exact same problem, and I did have a Access support person via Chat and Phone Call, remote control my PC and saw the problem.  We did uninstall one of the updates to Win11, and the problem went away and was asked to wait for the next update before applying anything.  Well, today, I ran the Windows Update check and installed the latest update patch that just came out "2022-11 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5020044)" and the problem is still there.  Now the freeze seems even longer in Access to where before it was around 45 seconds, but now it is well over a minute before Access becomes unfrozen

@VBA_Coder

As Shane indicated, Microsoft is aware of the problem. It is a Windows problem (i.e. not an Access problem per se.) 

Keep an eye on this discussion for any updates.

Also check this web page regularly for information. 

best response confirmed by Art_Menius (Brass Contributor)
Solution
I also did that and saw the problem remained