When I open my access database it gives me this error first:

access_error1.png

Then it gives me this error:
access_error2.png

Lastly it gives me this error:
access_error3.png
Can someone help?

4 Replies

@ExFyaG Did someone recently move (or even worse, delete) the back end accdb to which this Access FE links for data? If so, your relinking code needs to be adjusted to handle that change and provide you with a way to find and relink that accdb. 

If, and I really hope that hasn't happened, the back end accdb got deleted, you'll need to restore the most recent backup you have.

@George HepworthI got given the .mdb file with the task of fixing it or remaking it, but we have no backups since it is over 10 years old...

@ExFyaG Your organization has been using the same relational database application for over 10 years with NO BACKUPS? Ouch. I have heard horror stories many times over the years, but 10 years without backups has to be close to the most painful. Hopefully, though, the data is safe somewhere. Ask your IT support how they handle backups. Maybe there is something somewhere that you weren't told about.

But this is a slightly different picture than originally presented as well. It turns out this is not really "your" mdb, but one someone else uses day-to-day, correct?

Someone gave a copy and asked you to fix it.  You have a copy of one mdb "to fix". What is wrong with it? Is it just this problem you are posting about, or was there a different reason for giving it to you to fix?

I'll step back and offer more information. This is, no doubt, a split relational database application consisting of two mdb files. One, the "Front End", contains only the forms, reports, queries and any code--macros or VBA. The other, the "Back End", contains only the tables with the data in them.

My GUESS is that you have only the Front End, or FE. The Back End, or BE, is located, I hope, somewhere on the network, in a shared folder. The FE contains code that re-links it to the tables in that BE. The messages you are getting are being raised by that re-linking code. That's the good news. It's not an error in the database application itself. 

Properly written re-linking code should offer you a chance to find the BE and re-link to it, is cases like this where the FE and/or the BE have been moved from one folder location to another.

There is a manual Relinking feature in Access that will allow you to fix it, but first you have to know where to look for it. Ask the users.

Runtime Error 7874 happens when Microsoft Access fails or crashes whilst it’s running, hence its name. It doesn’t necessarily mean that the code was corrupt in some way, but just that it did not work during its run-time. This kind of error will appear as an annoying notification on your screen unless handled and corrected.