Access : Automatic filling a field by typing

Copper Contributor

Hi all,

i've been working with an Access Database for several years. The database works perfectly, but since I've upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11 Professional (64bit) the automated suggestion when typing in a field doesn't work anymore... or only for word beginning with A, B or C.

Of course I can manually use the rolling to find what I'm looking for, but it's a huge loss of time. My database has 27'000 records and I'm really embarrassed now !

If you look at the filed "Appellation" : usually when I type St-J then the system should automatically suggest "St-Julien" as it has already been used many times.

Many Thanks for your support !

Yves2023-02-18_Access.png

14 Replies
bring your form in design view and click on the troubled combobox.
on it's Property Window (right pane)->Data, Auto Expand should be set to Yes.

@arnel_gpmany thanks for your input. Your solution did not solve the issue. But, actually, it's very tricky, the problem only occurs on a computer with Windows 11 Professional... i'm speechless :(

@YvesBeck 

I do not see that problem with Windows 11, MS 365. 

You didn't mention the version of Access you are using. What is it?

Can you replicate this same problem on a new form, with a new combobox bound to that same recordsource?

If so, please consider sharing a sample accdb exhibiting the problem for review.

If not, that suggests there is a problem with that one combo box and replacing it might resolve the problem.

Many thanks for your answer George !
I'll check the different points you mentioned and let you know.

I use this version: Microsoft® Access® pour Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2301 Build 16.0.16026.20196) 64 bits
bonjour
avez vous eu une réponse à votre problème ? car nous avons exactement le même.
la pré saisie ne fonctionne pas depuis la dernière mise a jour de windows 11
Hi George,
I've tried with a new form and combobox, but it does not solve the issue.
I finally created a new user on my computer. When I was asked for a license to use access, i used a license I originally had for Microsoft Office 2016. Since that, everything works perfectly... with the new user account ;) I'm ok with that solution.
Bonjour,
j'ai pu résoudre le problème partiellement. En effet, j'ai créé une nouveau compte utilisateur. Lorsque j'ai lancé Access sur le nouvau compte utilisateur, on m'a demandé une clé pour utiliser Access. J'ai utilisé une clé originale dédiée à Microsoft Office 2016... et là tout fonctionne à nouveau parfaitement... mais uniquement avec le nouveau compte utilisateur ;)
bonjour, j'ai pu solutionner le problème en supprimant la mise à jour windows 11 22h2 et revenir sur la version précédente. j'ai retrouvé toutes les fonctionnalités sur la saisie automatique
Supprimer la mise à jour Windows 11 22h2 ? Je n'ai aucune idée comment procéder... Comment avez-vous fait ?
You can solve that by just adding a VBA "on enter" event to your combos, with the following code:

Me.ComboBoxName.Dropdown
many tanks, this is a good input. I still have to type the name entirely... usually if I type the first few letters, access automatically suggest the definition I want to use. Your solution open the dropdown menu. It's already a step forward, but I still wonder why it does not work anymore as usual
Something similar happened to me not long ago... I had accidental spaces in the begining of my values.
can you show me an example with the accidental spaces ? Thanks ;)

@YvesBeck nothing special about it. I thought i had, for example, "dfghjk" and in fact i had " dfghjk". That happened because i used a query to remove a prefix and forgot to include the space between the prefix and the words i wanted to keep.