Access 2019 Unable to Compact or back up DBs

Copper Contributor

Hi

Help. I've recently installed a standalone copy of access.  I have some experience of using earlier versions.  Whenever I try to either compact or back-up a db, an error message tells me that my file is in use.  I have eliminated the possibility of old lock files and have ensured the folders I'm using all have full permissions.  I've also tried 'clearing the air' via a blank db as advised elsewhere.  Whether I attempt to initiate this process from'Database Tools compact & Repair' or via 'Home/Info', the results are always 'Could not Use - file nnn already in use'.  I realise that I can set 'Compact on Close' but this is not an answer and is no help at all for Backing up.   Am I doing something obviously wrong?

27 Replies

@jadedalan 

Sorry, the point of that referred discussion was that the file was copied using Windows, which left it locked inadvertently. Curious if that makes any difference for your problem.

I understood that but I thought you meant that, in that case at least, the server reboot sorted the problem by 'losing' the lock that windows had on the files. I would certainly at one stage have moved my files via Windows but understood that rebooting was a potential way of losing any unwanted locks. Apologies if I have misunderstood.

@jadedalan I think we are on the same page. 

I've already tried rebooting with no sucess. I've also had no joy with compacting or backing up DBs that have just been created i.e not moved around via windows. I don't think the problem lies here
I know it's not a solution, but a workaround, but what about using the command line compact switch?

The following can also simplify the process:
https://www.devhut.net/2016/11/02/windows-explorer-ms-access-database-right-click-context-menu/
Don't know why my post didn't get posted, but her goes try 2.

Have you tried using the command line switches. I know it isn't a true solution, but may be a viable workaround for the time being.

You may like to try
https://www.devhut.net/2016/11/02/windows-explorer-ms-access-database-right-click-context-menu/
Your 1st post did get posted. I haven't had time to try it yet. Will reply more fully when I can
Well. An interesting looking app. I can't download either the 32 bit or the 64 bit version as it seems I have a mixture of 32 bit and 64 bit files on my PC and each install objects to the presence of the other. Ho hum. I will have to investigate further and also see if this has anything to do with my root problem. Additionally though, whilst running some poor code of mine, access crashed and whilst recovering, instigated an automatic backup which completed succesfully with no help from me.